Facebook Login
× Note: Sanctuaries are different to National Parks in Thailand, Thailand currently has established 39 sanctuaries and access is more restrictive as their role is as a sanctuary for wildlife rather than a park for the nation. Some sanctuaries do allow limited access to tourists.

Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014

02 May 2015 22:13 #2830 by iotai
Thanks for the fast reply! We're gonna try with the bikes and see if we can enter :)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 May 2015 09:53 #2831 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Re:Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
That's the spirit!
Looking forward to see some of your images here after you visit. And please let us know if you are allowed to enter with the bicycles or not.

Enjoy!

04 May 2015 15:17 - 04 May 2015 19:39 #2833 by Alex
You can definitely ride bikes in the park as my guide lent me one of their mountain bikes to ride around the area near the campsite. Whether you would be allowed to cycle in through the entrance and all the way up through the forest to the headquarters i'm not sure though.
I've attached a very basic map that i took a photo of in the sanctuary. You can also find some good info at: www.birding2asia.com/W2W/Thailand/North/PhuKhieoWS.html

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: iotai

07 May 2015 23:26 #2837 by iotai
Thanks! We should be there tomorrow afternoon... Will keep you posted!

12 May 2015 21:37 #2841 by iotai
And now we're back (on the road again...). We spent 48 hours inside the park and it was a great experience. After visiting the "wildlife sanctuaries" in Cambodia or Laos, where those terms are quite usurped (unfortunately), it is extremely good to see such a management for wildlife conservation.

We arrived at 5pm at the main entrance after a day of cycling, asking for information for the next day. We were taught that the entry price for foreigners is 200 bahts and that it's not possible to enter with bicycles (that was sad) but we that we should find a car going inside the next morning. And finally, that we could sleep near the dam where there was a hotel. We cycled towards the dam and reached a security gate where we've been told that the hotel was full... But that we could pitch our tent on a camping site near the dam. A jeep took us (and the bikes) there and we started unpacking while watching the sunset. A few minutes later, the guards came back and told us that we could NOT put the tent here because it was too dangerous... As we had no choice, we got back in the jeep and 100m away, we met a wild elephant coming to the camp site! So when the rangers say that we cannot camp near the entrance or near the dam, we finally believe them :) As it was getting dark, the rangers let us sleep right next to the entrance of the wildlife sanctuary, in a wooden hall probably used for meetings. Very kind of them.

Next morning, we took a car (that we eventually had to pay 100 bahts...) to reach the headquarters where we were asked 1000 bahts per night (we paid one night) for accommodation (basic bungalow), around 75 bahts per meal per person, and 300 bahts to have a ranger with us for 1,5 days.

The walks with the ranger were great. Even if his English was limited, Dien really tried to show us as much animals as he could and explained the animal trails found on the way. We were lucky to see a few monitor lizards, black giant squirrels, many deers (samba but not only), many unidentified (for us!) birds and one silver pheasant. We were very happy to see all. The map provided here was useful (thanks!). We even encounter a team (mostly composed by German scientists) that are studying Assam macaques in the park (if I remember correctly, around 100 individuals in 4 groups). We've been told that the sanctuary is home to around 200 elephants.

When we asked for the price for a second night (to another person), the answer was: "same as first night, normal price: 300 bahts"! I explained the situation and we did not have to pay the second night...

To sum things up: don't pay more than 300 bahts per night and 75 per meal, expect a great range of wildlife, if possible use your own car.

I don't have pictures today but I'll post a few as soon as they are sorted out (although I'm not really proud of them, especially when I see yours here!)

13 May 2015 12:49 #2842 by Paul T
Thats great! I have always found on my own visits that the Phu Khieo staff have been particularly helpful as well.

15 May 2015 09:34 #2843 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Re:Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
Apart from the 1000 baht charge for a room and not being allowed to cycle into the park, it seems like you had a great visit.
A shame to hear about the sanctuaries you visited in Laos & Cambodia; it's not the first time I hear this. Such a shame, especially for the historically rich biodiversity in Laos.
Thailand is far from perfect, but I guess the better economic situation is the main reason that makes the locals visit as tourists instead of as hunters.
Let's hope that the situations in Laos and Cambodia will change on time. Though I've heard that for tigers it is probably already too late in Cambodia.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.