Facebook Login
× Note: Sanctuaries are different to National Parks in Thailand, Thailand currently has established 39 sanctuaries and access is more restrictive as their role is as a sanctuary for wildlife rather than a park for the nation. Some sanctuaries do allow limited access to tourists.

Huai Kha Khaeng Trip Report - August 2014

03 Sep 2014 00:29 - 03 Sep 2014 00:34 #2254 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Huai Kha Khaeng Trip Report - August 2014
baby Hog Nosed Deer

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Sep 2014 00:57 #2255 by jonathanbkk
Hog Nosed Deer, artistic version haha

Attachments:

03 Sep 2014 01:04 #2256 by jonathanbkk
My sub-par attempt at capturing a Green Pea Fowl, will have to get a lot closer to these very wary birds

Attachments:

03 Sep 2014 06:08 #2257 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Huai Kha Khaeng Trip Report - August 2014
Great images Jonathan.

04 Sep 2014 18:08 #2259 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Picture of the Month - Banteng

This month's winner is Jonathan Feteke's image of a female banteng with calf (Bos javanicus) resting in the early evening light at the Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary. You can read more of how Jonathan took the photograph by clicking here

"The world population of Banteng is unlikely to be more than 8,000 and is quite possibly fewer than 5,000 animals. No subpopulations of more than 500, and only 6–8 subpopulations of more than 50 animals, are known, with 4–5 on Java and 1–2 in Thailand (S. Hedges pers. comm. 2000; Pudyatmoko 2004).

A once fairly widely distributed species, it is now largely reduced to small isolated populations, most of which are still in decline. In Thailand there are two populations thought to contain over 50 individuals, in Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary and Kaeng Krachan National Park. Both areas are under active conservation management." [Source IUCN]

04 Sep 2014 21:32 #2261 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Huai Kha Khaeng Trip Report - August 2014
Great shot, Jonathan!
Deserves to be picture of the month.

What focal length are you using?

06 Sep 2014 09:09 #2271 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Huai Kha Khaeng Trip Report - August 2014
Great photos, the image of mother and calf is a beauty.

06 Sep 2014 11:49 #2275 by jonathanbkk
Thank you Bagheera, and high compliments on your camera trapping in MHS, love to see the dholes up there that you put on this morning

@onflipflops For that shot I used a 300mm 2.8 with a 1.5x zoom adapter. Had they been a bit closer I would have loved to take the adapter off for a full F2.8. This lens is a beast to carry in the forest but I have adapted a 5.11 military backpack with a chest strap to hang it off of.

I have a few shots of another smaller calf feeding off mom but the image quality isnt the best, I will add it anyway this weekend along with a younger bull with striking colors still allowed to hang out with the girls (I am sure not for much longer)

06 Sep 2014 22:32 #2278 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Huai Kha Khaeng Trip Report - August 2014
Clearly your setup gives great results!
I can imagine that carrying it around is not as pleasant.

The idea to connect it with a chest strap to your backpack is great.
Looking forward to your other images.

16 Sep 2014 11:06 #2313 by jonathanbkk
Mother and calf having a feed, I was still fairly far away in the stalk so image quality and foliage affected the shot as you see
Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.