Facebook Login
× Note: Sanctuaries are different to National Parks in Thailand, Thailand currently has established 39 sanctuaries and access is more restrictive as their role is as a sanctuary for wildlife rather than a park for the nation. Some sanctuaries do allow limited access to tourists.

Mae Nam Pachi Sanctuary

12 Jun 2015 10:28 - 16 Jun 2015 15:00 #2862 by bootly66
Mae Nam Pachi Sanctuary was created by bootly66
Does any one have any info of bird and mammal species to be found at Mae Nam Pachi Sanctuary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jun 2015 10:49 #2864 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic Mae Nam Pachi Sanctuary
Looking to take a visit there tomorrow.. Do I need any special permissions or just turn up????

12 Jun 2015 13:20 - 12 Jun 2015 14:22 #2865 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Mae Nam Pachi Sanctuary
I don't have much info at all. I have never been to the HQ or deep inside, but as a sanctuary you would not be able to go beyond the periphery without permission.

The area has many issues with encroachment, poaching and illegal logging and as such the parts I have been to are largely secondary and bamboo. In those secondary areas I have been a) the Princess Project has good access to the river but you need to get away from the crowds b) the old trail area - see the other post in this forum for it - is largely bamboo and we never did see anything c) the entrance through the small dam and Karen village at the end of the road (the HQ is probably in this area) but IMHO hills tribes and living animals are non synonymous. No permission is needed for any of these.

I have not been back to those areas for a few years. Do let us know how you go on and if there is anything/anywhere to recommend.

The only species list type things I have seen from MNPCWS are the amphibian and snake posters (I think there are links in the "library" area that you should be able to see when logged in). But ....... its going to be the same as KKNP as they are both in the KKFC.

Chaloem Phrakiat Thai Prachan National Park is also about 15/20 minutes away - but secondary forest on the periphery also. I go quite often for a quick insect trip but seeing mammals and birds of interest has been very rare for me there.

Hope this helps in small way

12 Jun 2015 14:22 #2867 by bootly66
cheers. Do you know of any good birding spots around Ratchaburi??? I'm looking for somewhere new away from the crowds of KKNP....

14 Jun 2015 09:16 - 14 Jun 2015 09:34 #2868 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Mae Nam Pachi Sanctuary
I don't bootly, I am not very good at birds. I fully get where you are coming from though - KK is becoming very "popular" - I saw a single collection of birders at one spot that must have numbered 30 or 40, yesterday.

14 Jun 2015 10:32 #2869 by bootly66
Yes, that is the exact reason why I want to find a new area to explore... We did find Mae Nam Pachi Sanctuary but it was getting late by then, so didn't really explore the area too much.. I will be back another day soon.

11 Mar 2016 01:37 #3510 by Bjarnie
Replied by Bjarnie on topic Mae Nam Pachi Sanctuary
Hi bootly66,
Have you ever been in the "Eagle Village" Ban Nong Pla Lai in Khao Yoi District?
Maybe not really a secret place. But maybe the best spot for steppe Eagle nearby. The season is coming soon...

11 Mar 2016 06:56 #3512 by bootly66
Yes many times.. thanks

21 Mar 2016 19:26 #3566 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Mae Nam Pachi Sanctuary
A rarely visited place we went to is ranger station 3 in Tap Lan National Park GPS 14.3723814 102.2869643 on Google maps shows clearly on Google earth. It is on the north end of the old road that runs from Phang Sida NP through the middle of both parks.

There is a young ranger there named Guy who speaks some English and is very keen to see visitors he took us to several other ranger stations in the area and came with us 21km up the old road till our old 2wd station wagon came to a mud hole we couldn't pass. I did a report on our visit here : teakdoor.com/thailands-national-parks/15...nal-park-visits.html Tap lan through the back door

With some pix of the stuff taken from illegal loggers.

Good birdlife and potential for animals, there is a natural mineral lick on the road and a walking trail about 12km up the road, no accommodation, take your own tent and the toilets are fairly primitive

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.