Facebook Login
× Note: Sanctuaries are different to National Parks in Thailand, Thailand currently has established 39 sanctuaries and access is more restrictive as their role is as a sanctuary for wildlife rather than a park for the nation. Some sanctuaries do allow limited access to tourists.

Phu Khieo Sept 2015

13 Sep 2015 12:34 - 13 Sep 2015 12:34 #3118 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Phu Khieo Sept 2015
The giant cicada Tosena albata. I had not seen one close up, just flip-flops' picture from his trip to Phu Khieo - I was shocked just how big these are.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Sep 2015 12:47 - 13 Sep 2015 12:47 #3119 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Phu Khieo Sept 2015
More fantastic shots!
These cicadas are indeed huge and pretty.
I like the colorful shot of the big python with the green vegetation, redish murky water, and part of the water with bluish reflection from the sky.

Trekker wrote:

Here are a couple more of he/she before disappearing up the stream - he/she paused for a moment and seemed to rest its head (?) on a stone before going into the faster flowing stream. I did not see it after that and suspect it went into the forest.

At this length it is most likely a female.

13 Sep 2015 13:56 - 13 Sep 2015 13:57 #3120 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Phu Khieo Sept 2015
and lastly.... the ubiquitous deer of Phu Khieo, the hog deer male is tame, the sambar male I thought was wild but the ear you cannot see has a tag so reared and released. The group - I don't know - but if not wild they are wilding (very skittish). And the lone female - who knows but probably reared and released, I liked the water color/reflection..
Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.