Facebook Login
× Note: Sanctuaries are different to National Parks in Thailand, Thailand currently has established 39 sanctuaries and access is more restrictive as their role is as a sanctuary for wildlife rather than a park for the nation. Some sanctuaries do allow limited access to tourists.

khao ang rue nai / kaeng hang meow

01 May 2016 15:13 - 01 May 2016 17:48 #3715 by andymerk
khao ang rue nai / kaeng hang meow was created by andymerk
just back from kaeng hang meow/khao ang rue nai south.
it's unbelievable what is happening there, for month, big herds of wild elephants are roaming the villages and plantations in search of water.
see by your self

The following user(s) said Thank You: wildambience

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2016 16:37 #3717 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic khao ang rue nai / kaeng hang meow
Good work Andy!
I like the documentary style.
Interesting to see more about the human-wildlife conflicts. Must be tiring for the rangers if they have to go out each night to reduce the damage done.

It remains a difficult problem, not easily solved. All national parks/ wildlife sanctuaries are like green islands surrounded by a sea of people/ human development. And especially in a dry year like this, elephants will venture further out of the parks to find food and water. Chasing them back is just a temporary solution, and will likely mean they walk out in someone else's farm.

From the farmers in Kui Buri I have heard that there is virtually nothing you can do to stop them. Elephants are too smart, so putting up an electric fence doesn't even work because the elephants will just pull down a tree, drop it on the fence and then step over it.
Digging deep moats (not filled with water) with vertical 'slopes' around the farms seems to work best, but that's a hell of a job as well, and rain will erode the slopes and then the elephants will be able to find their way through.

I wished I had a solution. All I know is that we should focus on reducing the world human population - the cause of virtually all problems - , but no governments seem to encourage that. 'Reducing' might be the wrong word, but one of the few good ideas coming from China (sadly they have given up on it) is to have some kind of limit on the number of children one can get. This would however only work if this would be worldwide. 2 should be the max, and 1 or none should be encouraged.
But I know this is not a popular subject, haha. And I know it will never happen because it would mean economies would 'collapse'... the rich would loose the most, so they won't let this happen. And of course people just want the freedom to make their own (irresponsible?) choices.

02 May 2016 07:28 - 02 May 2016 12:51 #3719 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic khao ang rue nai / kaeng hang meow
"wow!" is all I can say Andy - I think we can safely refer to you as "filmmaker" now. Knocked out by that! superb!

02 May 2016 09:56 #3720 by andymerk
Replied by andymerk on topic khao ang rue nai / kaeng hang meow
Here the problem is different and nobody seems to realize it!
the orchards and plantations are using so much water, that the groundwater level is dropping significantly. therefore, they suck the surrounding areas dry.
saltwater has already intruded in the southern part!
In rainy season, most of the water disappears, to replenish the ground water and there is not enough surface water for plant growth and for wildlife consumtion.
Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: rushenb

02 May 2016 13:58 #3722 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic khao ang rue nai / kaeng hang meow
Nice clip Andy! :)

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.