Facebook Login
× Note: Sanctuaries are different to National Parks in Thailand, Thailand currently has established 39 sanctuaries and access is more restrictive as their role is as a sanctuary for wildlife rather than a park for the nation. Some sanctuaries do allow limited access to tourists.

Huai Kha Khaeng - Headquarters trails

03 Jan 2014 00:13 - 03 Jan 2014 00:14 #1589 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Huai Kha Khaeng - Headquarters trails
@ Jonathan: I believe it's been a while since you've last posted here. Good to see you are still out there ;) !
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Unlucky for you to be there when the big boss was there.
I remember on my last visit that the ranger at the HQ gate told me when I went out for a late afternoon drive to look out because the boss' assistent was on his way from the entrance to the HQ.
I asked if I was not allowed to be out there. But he said he warned me because the guy tends to drive like crazy, haha.

@ Trekker: I like the top picture of the wild boar in its environment. Nice shot!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jan 2014 08:49 #1595 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Huai Kha Khaeng - Headquarters trails
Thanks Ton, work had kept me busy for a few months and was unable to get out into the jungle. This year I will have to plan more long weekend holidays so I can ensure I get around a bit more

10 Jan 2017 22:52 - 10 Jan 2017 23:00 #4177 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Huai Kha Khaeng - Headquarters trails
Today I walked the Khao Hin Daeng trail in Huai Kha Khaeng, and thought I should report that it has become impossible to walk the big loop without GPS.

The loop via the shortcut half way, is still ok. Still reasonably well worn, but the bigger loop has become impossible to follow unless you have the original GPS track, and even then...
I have walked the big loop often, and dare to say I know that trail pretty well, but had not walked it for maybe a year, and it seemed like nobody else has walked it in that whole year, haha.
It was not just a fallen tree here and there, no the actual path was just so fully grown with fast growing vegetation that there was simply no trail in places. Only if you know the area, know the trees, you might know where you are, but even then you would get confused.
It seemed like the extreme drought of 2016 also helped the forest fires go deeper than ever which has changed the landscape quite a bit.

A shame the rangers have given up on this part of the trail. If they would just walk these areas every two months or so and do minor cutting it would not be that much work, but now it is an immense job to clear it.

In other words, I strongly discourage anyone to walk this trail unless you know it very well and have the GPS plus extra batteries and a compass just in case.
Anyway, even those that think they want to give it a try anyhow just for the adventure, luckily it is impossible for most to even just find where the longer loop actually branches off from the better worn short loop, haha, so I guess we do not have to worry about people getting lost ;-)

11 Jan 2017 21:17 #4178 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Huai Kha Khaeng - Headquarters trails
Good to know flip-flops, thanks for sharing this. It seems the regular trails are getting less and less due to lack of maintenance everywhere.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.