Help identify two birds

4 years 3 weeks ago #1927 by NN
Help identify two birds was created by NN
I shot these two birds this afternoon. Can anyone help ID them? Thanks.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #1930 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Help identify two birds
Looks like Lesser-necklaced laughing thrush and a male scarlet-backed flowerpecker. Particularly the flower pecker is a tiny but handsome bird!

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #1933 by NN
Replied by NN on topic Help identify two birds
Thanks, how common are these birds? The thrush I shot from my back porch, it's the first time I've seen one. While the pecker was shot from a hide I set up on my back fence.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #1938 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Help identify two birds
I don't have my bird books with me, I'm not in Thailand right now. But I believe I've read that the Scarlet-backed flowerpecker can be found throughout the whole country and is considered a common bird. After my first sighting I was also surprised to read that but I'm not a true birder and usually don't take the time to ID little birds hopping around in the trees. I suppose that when you pay more attention to birds that you will see it more frequently. Besides in the national park, I've also seen it in my garden in Pak Chong.

The Laughing thrush is quite common inside the park, though not the most common laughing thrush species. I've also seen it a lot in HKK which is at lower elevation and in different type of forest than in Khao Yai so I guess they are wide-spread and quite common.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #1940 by wildambience
Nice photos & Ton is spot on with the ID. You must have some nice habitat nearby your house to get the Laughingthrush from the back porch - I'm jealous!

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #1942 by NN
Replied by NN on topic Help identify two birds
The thrush was back this morning, along with a kingfisher. We are a few hundred meters from KY, there seems to be more bird life around, including several that I haven't seen before. I suspect the dry conditions are attracting them? Our house is very open, the second floor is great for birding.
Attachments:

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds