Facebook Login

Help identify two birds

02 May 2014 19:32 - 02 May 2014 19:35 #1956 by NN
Replied by NN on topic Help identify two birds
Thanks for the ID. At the moment there's several species hanging round that I've never seen before, often near a garden tap where the ground is moist and there's insects. Below is one I saw in my yard today.

Another one, quite deep in the jungle.

I also spotted a hornbill today, first I've seen in the area.

There is land for sale in the area, I'm not sure about prices. I would imagine from B500k - B1,000+ per rai would get something nice enough. We bought in 2008, it's gone up since then, but still much cheaper than PC. If you're ever in the area let me know, I would be happy to show you round.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 May 2014 01:20 - 03 May 2014 01:21 #1957 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Help identify two birds
The first one (2 images) is a Yellow-vented Bulbul, and the second one a Black-headed Bulbul.

Which Hornbill species did you see? Oriental Pied Hornbill?

That's indeed a lot cheaper than in Pak Chong! Prices here are out of proportion, especially near the park...
But people are buying it. (Lots of rich and famous around here, holiday houses.)
Thanks for the offer, if I ever have the time to come around i will let you know!

03 May 2014 09:30 #1959 by NN
Replied by NN on topic Help identify two birds
Here's a blurry pic of the hornbill, maybe you can identify the species?

In 2010 we looked at land sandwiched in a valley with KY on both sides. It had great views and they were asking only B400k per rai, but then there was the shootings with the red shirts and I got cold feet. The people across the soi from us approached me asking B400k, it's low lying land with few trees and they may be asking more now.

The only thing crazier about the PC prices is the level of development there. The Thai economy is on shaky ground, so prices may be a bit more sensible in the future.
Attachments:

03 May 2014 15:25 - 03 May 2014 15:26 #1960 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Help identify two birds
Yes that is a male oriental pied hornbill. The smallest of the 4 species in KY.

And thanks for the info on the land prices.
Sounds like an nice spot, sandwiched between the park.

There is a nice but large plot of land, 39 rai for sale very close to the northern KY entrance, bordering the park. People who have visited the park from the north side must have seen it.
It has been for sale for a few years now. I have walked in the jungle bordering this plot and found bear claw markings, elephant dung, and other tracks nearly on this plot of land.
I haven't even dared to call. Even at a reasonable price per Rai a plot this size would be way out of my budget, but I keep dreaming, ;)
When I get back I should give them a call, just for fun.

07 Apr 2021 12:48 - 08 Apr 2021 09:49 #5626 by peterandpookie hearn
Replied by peterandpookie hearn on topic Help identify two birds
Can you please help? I live in Chiang Mai Thailand and on 3 April outside my window on a garden wall about 6/9 feet away I saw small Warbler like bird about only 10cm in length.It was a sleek bird with very light brown plumage on the wings, back, tail and a lighter colour on the under parts i.e throat chest and belly.Its bill was a sleek  narrow warbler like bill and was a dark colour or black. The legs a toes were a dark colour alsoBUT - on its face from just behind the eye down to the top of the neck - going out to the bill was a dark brown or black facial like mask.It was like the bird was wearing a mask.I have looked and looked every where on the internet but cannot find a bird like it.The nearest in term of size was the Chinese Leaf Warbler but with no eye or wing marks - JUST as described above.
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

10 Apr 2021 10:35 - 10 Apr 2021 10:36 #5629 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Help identify two birds
I think most would agree that warblers are incredibly difficult to ID even when you have a photograph. Heres just one page of warblers from "Birds of Thailand" Craig Robson (recommended). Also the website eBird.org may help you as they have pictures of all the warblers on line as well.

Attachments:

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.