A very sad story

3 years 6 months ago #2437 by mistifarang
A very sad story was created by mistifarang
Once, on a night, I met this Barn Owl consuming a rat. He wasn't very afraid so I could take some photo's. He was every evening around. One day I found a net, so somebody want to catch him. De net was already occupied by a dove which I rescued and I cut the net into two pieces and threw it away. Unfortunately the Owl disappeared after a couple of days so I think that he landed at the Chatuchak-market in Bangkok where a lot of, illegal, animal trade is going on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #2440 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic A very sad story
And probably the person who caught it got 100 baht for it. The lives of animals are not much worth in Thailand, apart from some rare species of course.
Sad indeed!

More
3 years 6 months ago #2442 by mistifarang
Replied by mistifarang on topic A very sad story
No, unfortunately true enough onflipflops!

More
2 years 3 months ago #3410 by jack2964
Replied by jack2964 on topic A very sad story
I am not sure what I have done is the right thing but I felt sorry for two owls I found at a flea market in Korat. A Barn Owl and Collared Scops Owl both of which I bought and set free when I got home. Some might argue by my buying I am encouraging the illicit trade and I can appreciate that but I thought then the owls might get a 2nd chance to live their lives as nature intended. Along with these owls were several male White-rumped Shamas, Lineated Barbet, White-crested Laughingthrush and Streak-eared Bulbul.
But the saddest was a Brahminy Kite chick which I wanted to buy too but didn't know how to care for it and can only hope however buys it will do the right thing.

Attachments:

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #3412 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic A very sad story

jack2964 wrote: I am not sure what I have done is the right thing but I felt sorry for two owls I found at a flea market in Korat. A Barn Owl and Collared Scops Owl both of which I bought and set free when I got home.

Its always hard to know what to do - and what is right, or wrong. But at the end of the day its our own conscience that we are answerable to. There's two birds flying free because of you. I know how I would feel.

Why not report the incident anyway, so at least the authorities have it on their radar .... if any of us have a concern we want to report such as wildlife trafficking, poaching or animal abuse, the contacts are ........

Department of National Parks hotline 1362
Royal Thai Police, Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Suppression Division (NRECD) hotline 1136

More
2 years 3 months ago #3413 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic A very sad story
I am guessing that a question that pops into everyone's mind is, if we ever call those hotline numbers, how seriously would we be taken? Do they speak English at the other end of the line? Would the authorities send someone to do something about the case promptly?

Anyone with experience or heard of any stories?

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.766 seconds