Facebook Login

Hides/blinds and 'baiting'

20 Sep 2015 15:22 #3140 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Hides/blinds and 'baiting'
Well a bit of both, Prin handled my sale and I had a driver pick it up from his location in bangkok. But I found the website from here and located Prin that way
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Sep 2015 15:52 #3141 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic Hides/blinds and 'baiting'
did you buy a hide??

Thanks for the info and experiences described.

Have to say that I'm uneasy with the idea of any attempts to artificially draw animals to somewhere they're not normally inclined to go, and appalled at the idea of trying to unsettle them with predator calls.

So, choosing the site is the way I'd prefer to go, the use of a hide/blind just a means of obscuring the rather disturbing human form... something that may be possible anyway with judicious use of natural cover, although probably not always affording the best vantage point... and then settling down to wait for nature to come to me. If the site (e.g. watering hole) is well chosen then animals will come once they've accepted my presence and started to ignore or at least not feel threatened by it.

The story of the kingfishers and the snake I find understandable, but sad. I think when shooting wild animals that it's better to leave nature, no matter how raw it might be, to its own devices, and if that meant the snake getting the chicks then so be it... and what a great photo-op! Agreed the acceptability of the birds eating the snake versus the intolerance for things happening the other way round presents quite a paradox.

When I think of all the great BBC natural history films and the rule that nature be left to take its course, I feel that that is the right way to go about it. Observing what nature is doing and where it is doing it, and then setting up, with a hide if necessary, and recording what naturally happens.

Any kind of 'gardening' around nesting birds is bound to be disruptive to their immediate environment, perhaps disturbing reasons why the site was selected in the first place and thus risking abandonment. When building artificial nest boxes the recommendation is to NOT include perches, since while they may be convenient for the nesting species they are not necessary, and may end up aiding predators as well.

Anyway, that digresses from the core subject of the thread.

I'll check out Prin Pattawaro, but also try to improve on my stalking abilities using natural cover. It's often anyway a matter of finding a good spot and then settling down to wait for nature to come to me. As long as i'm not in direct sunlight it should be manageable/tolerable!

Cheers

Rob

20 Sep 2015 16:28 #3142 by roblgs
Replied by roblgs on topic Hides/blinds and 'baiting'
Not yet... My ability to get out and actually make use of a hide has been severely curtailed of late, so it's been deferred for now.

I keep the link ready for use, just hope it will be put to use sooner rather than later!

Thanks

Rob

20 Sep 2015 17:03 #3143 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic Hides/blinds and 'baiting'
Thankyou please remember to mention me when ordering.. ;)

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.