Broadbills of Kaeng Krachan

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #2936 by bootly66
Kaeng Krachan is home to all Thailand's seven species of Broadbill.........................

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #2938 by bootly66
Kaeng Krachan is home to all Thailand's seven species of Broadbill. The Black and Red and Silver Breasted probably being the most common at the lower levels. Banded and Black and Yellow and Black and Red can be found around the Ban Krang campsite area, Whereas Silver Breasted and Dusky are best found along the road between the streams. The Long Tailed Broadbill frequents the higher levels, Km 27 being about the most reliable spot. Green Broadbills are known to frequent this park as well, but as yet they have eluded me of any good views.......

Banded Broadbill:

Black and Red Broadbill:

Black and Yellow Broadbill:

Dusky Broadbill

Long Tailed Broadbill:

Silver Breasted Broadbill:

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #2940 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Broadbills of Kaeng Krachan
Wow, so that's 6 of the seven, they are incredibly cute looking. Not being a birder I see some of these in the forest but don't know what they are ............ I just had to look up the Green Broadbill - I never even knew it existed, what a cool looking bird.

More
2 years 10 months ago #2941 by onflipflops
Indeed fabulous birds.
Nice shots.

Also I am waiting for the Green Broadbill to show up some day, the only species of the seven that has eluded me.
I've read they do visit fruiting fig trees, so will keep an eye out. Not sure if they really eat the figs, or just insects that are attracted by the fruiting figs, I thought the broadbills are primarily insect eaters.
Just recently I ticked the (for me) 6th species at Ban Krang, the Black-and-yellow Broadbill which is a very cute bird. However, with a 300mm on full frame it doesn't really work unless setting up a hide near a nesting location.

If you learn about some good locations to spot the Green Broadbill, I would love to hear about it. Because even for a person like me that is more into mammals and reptiles, I still enjoy seeing the colorful birds like these broadbills.

More
2 years 10 months ago #2944 by bootly66
Sri Pang Nga is about the best place I think.. I have heard them many times,but never had a good view

More
2 years 10 months ago #2945 by onflipflops
I probably should start with a visit to the website Xeno Canto to learn the call, that could help in the future.
Sri Pang-Nga is a bit too much of a drive for me, haha. But thanks for the recommendation!
Maybe someday. Would love to go down South to tick some new species; reptiles, mammals and birds alike.

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds