Bueng Boraphet

2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #3121 by Paul T
Bueng Boraphet was created by Paul T
After my recent trip to Phu Khieo, I decided I could not take the drive home in one go. So I decided to take a detour and stay off in Nakorn Sawan and have a quick visit to Bueng Boraphet before heading into Bangkok. The weather was threatening heavy rain BUT the sun kept stealing through and I got a couple of hours to test "hernia" (see the Phu Khieo post) some more, and with the 1.4 convertor.

I am very pleased with the results so far even though its easy to find stuff and nothing exotic. I still have a lot to learn but its a start and with the decent weather about to hit us in a month or so I am going to have lots to keep me busy/practicing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #3122 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Bueng Boraphet
1.Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)
2. ??
3.Blue Tailed Bee-eater (Merops philippinus)
4. Pied Kingfisher (Ceryle rudis)
5. Asian Pied Starling (Gracupica contra)
6. Streaked Weaver (Ploceus manyar) ??

More
2 years 8 months ago #3123 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Bueng Boraphet
My guess for number 2 is a Plain Prinia.
Any Siamese Crocodiles around? I've heard they can be seen there.

You really got into bird photography? Or do you actually have other plans in mind with your monster lens?
Anyhow, the results look great.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #3124 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Bueng Boraphet

onflipflops wrote: Any Siamese Crocodiles around? I've heard they can be seen there.

You really got into bird photography? Or do you actually have other plans in mind with your monster lens?

I didn't known that (Siamese Crocs), I was just in the "experimental fish section" so did not go over to the park side. As it was Saturday I thought there would be lots of people at the park - I really don't like crowds. Crowds and public speaking - my two ideas of hell.

Am I becoming a birder? "Nay, nay, thrice nay sir". Thats given me a chuckle. The "hernia" is for mammals but its a lens that requires "technique" so birds are the easiest for me to practice on to get the technique right. But, I have to say it has been very enjoyable so far :+) I am beginning to see what the pull is for bird photographers.

More
2 years 8 months ago #3128 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Bueng Boraphet
For me birds are to fill up the time between reptile and mammal sightings ;)
Indeed great subjects to practise on. I guess I have mostly learned to aim fast by shooting birds in flight.
And getting a great shot of any animal, rare or common, is always fun. It really does not matter if it has feathers, scales, or fur.
It surely needs some practise to handle a long telephoto, especially if following action, but in the end I think these are the easiest lenses to get good results.
Simply because of the narrow angle of view the camera will much easier get the right exposure when metering the light, the subject will be larger in the frame so that makes accurate focusing easier, the narrow depth of field that comes naturally with these lenses adds to that and makes it easy to get aesthetically pleasing results.
So as soon as you get used to the aiming, the results are almost guaranteed to be great.
Of course there are disadvantages, the weight, manoeuvrability and the high magnification doesn't go well with shaky hands.

Can't wait to get to see your future mammal shots!

More
2 years 8 months ago #3130 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Bueng Boraphet
My set up is a 300mm 2.8 with a 1.5x adapter. I have rigged a way with climbing gear for me to carry it hanging on the front of my 5.11 back pack as its an absolute beast to carry. Being on the front allows me to shoot rapidly during walks and also gives some balance by having weight in the pack on my back and in the front.

I will someday add a 500 or 600mm but thus far bought too many toys for this year

My lens is mostly suited for mammals and what some suggest is the highest level of lens you can get while shooting without a tripod. Whenever I can I do try to shoot with monopod or tripod

I do enjoy shooting birds, but they have to be fairly close and ideally without the adapter to allow a full f/2.8 which gives stunning results
Attachments:

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.569 seconds