Facebook Login

Kingfishers

22 Jun 2016 17:26 #3877 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Kingfishers
Nice shot!
I love these little birds. But I guess to get some good shots I need to sit in a bird blind.
The closest I have got to it was a couple months ago on a night walk, when I found it sleeping. But to get good shots while hiking, is hard. It seems to love streams in dark valleys...

What ISO did you shoot at? Is this with your new D5?
I like the color rendition. Colorful, yet not oversaturated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jun 2016 18:39 - 22 Jun 2016 18:56 #3880 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Kingfishers
Its ISO 2200, 600 mm plus 1.4x, flash at -3ev. I will post a picture below of a different one I took without the flash - the weather was so bad on Saturday morning that I had no option but to get the flash out as I sat in the drizzle.

The D5 is excellent at ISO 1600 in shadows with no flash - fully trustable, at 3200 things are starting to get a bit messy to my eye - without reducing the file size to cover up the issues. The pic is not cropped, that is the frame the camera took.

22 Jun 2016 18:50 - 22 Jun 2016 18:54 #3881 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Kingfishers
Here we go, same morning no flash, ISO 6400 and 1/20th ....

Heres one from Friday when there was more light - without flash at ISO 1600 BUT 1/20th, its very hit and miss at that shutter speed for me ......

Attachments:

16 Jul 2016 08:41 - 16 Jul 2016 11:40 #3903 by tjmstroud
Replied by tjmstroud on topic Kingfishers
Catching up on Wildlife Thailand.
That photo of the Oriental Dwarf is really something - brilliant.
Here's the best I can do on Common kingfishers that often pass through our garden in Petchabun - one taken in the morning, one at dusk.
This one was a regular on our main pond fishing for freshwater shrimps.and he'll stay in my memory for sitting right next to me, about a metre away. Needless to say I didn't have the camera right then.

Attachments:

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.