Facebook Login

Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia cyane)

17 Jan 2016 07:22 - 17 Jan 2016 07:46 #3361 by Paul T
Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia cyane) was created by Paul T
Spent Friday and Saturday at Kaeng Krachan this weekend, and had an afternoon at KM 18. I need to reset my big lens (The Hernia) again as although this looks tack sharp, its a couple of mm out at 8 meters (the DOF at f4 at that distance is akin to using a macro lens - so the lens camera needs to be retuned with the lens).

I have been trying to ID this little visitor for the last couple of hours - hopefully Brian can confirm (?) as this bird ID thing is not easy for us non-birders. I think this is a sub-adult Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia crane)?

Other than that it was a quiet weekend except for being woken up in Baan Kraang at 2 am with a jolt as a leopard (my assumption as I could not see it) started hissing spitting and screaming in the bushes about 30 feet for my hammock! I woke with such a start that I bit my tongue and drew blood!

I pulled the covers over my head and pretended to be somewhere else ;+)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jan 2016 11:02 #3366 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia cyane)
Wow!.. This is the second leopard sighting in the vicinity of Ban Krang in such a short time! Too bad I can't get there next 5-6 weeks.. :(

17 Jan 2016 13:10 #3368 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia cyane)
Yes I agree Siberian Blue Robin, but would say it's a female, possibly first winter.. BTW in all my trips to KK over the years I have never got even a glimpse of the Leopard.. would really appreciate a few pointers on a location where to start looking.. cheers Brian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

18 Jan 2016 05:58 - 07 Feb 2016 10:35 #3374 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia cyane)
They are all over the park Brian but the sightings are nearly always on the road (probably because that where people are to see them) - the main area seems to be on the Baan Krang - Panoenthung stretch (after KM 21). There does not seem to be any specific pattern to it as there are sightings all over.

PS I have not seen one either yet. .. correction ... Seen on Feb 7 at KM 21
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.