Doi Ang Khang Birding

2 years 1 month ago #3579 by wildambience
A couple of weeks ago, I spent some time birding and sound recording in the far north-west of Thailand near the Myanmar border - mainly Doi Ang Khang & Doi Pha Hom Pok NP (Doi Lang). On this post I'll include photos and info relating to Doi Ang Khang (DAK), and will create a separate post for the Doi Pha Hom Pok (DPHP) highlights.

Doi Ang Khang is well-known amongst birders as a relatively accessible site for montane species, a few hours drive north of Chiang Mai. A number of small villages (Sian hill tribe I think) are scattered about on the mountain and connected by sealed roads. The forest at DAK is patchy and certainly not pristine, but generally the area is 'green' and provides suitable habitat for a good variety of bird species found in few other places in Thailand.

Here's a few photos from the trip....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #3580 by wildambience
Replied by wildambience on topic Doi Ang Khang Birding
Rusty-naped Pitta (Hydrornis oatesi) are found in hill forests throughout Thailand - but are notoriously shy and hard to see. However, In the Royal Agricultural Station at Doi Angkhang (behind the bamboo garden) some bird photographers have been put out food to attract birds, and Rusty-naped Pitta occasionally come out into the open.
Attachments:

More
2 years 1 month ago #3581 by wildambience
Hill Blue Flycatcher (Cyornis banyumas)
Attachments:

More
2 years 1 month ago #3582 by wildambience
White-tailed Robin (Cinclidium leucurum)
Attachments:

More
2 years 1 month ago #3583 by wildambience
White-capped Water Redstart (Chaimarrornis leucocephalus) - this handsome male is a regular in winter along a small stream behind the Ban Luang resort.
Attachments:

More
2 years 1 month ago #3593 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Doi Ang Khang Birding
Thanks for that, always interested in places I haven't visited as yet. Hopefully will get around to doing a trip to the north east this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wildambience

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds