Strange Behaviour

2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #3731 by Paul T
Strange Behaviour was created by Paul T
During the drought we had a camera, with the DNP, at one the last water locations and the camera caught some strange behaviour of a bird. The photos show what was happening and this took place multiple times on different days - and each time it involved the sitting on the bank with its wings in an arc as if covering something. I wondered if anyone has any idea what its doing? Or what it is? I wondered if it was "fishing" in the stream?

FYI - these pictures are from when the drought stopped and water was flowing again.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago #3732 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Strange Behaviour
Attachments:

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #3738 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Strange Behaviour
Well, it might have been fishing. I have seen the Fishing Owls in Khao Yai (and also in Huai Kha Khaeng) sit next to the water, or on low branches looking in the water. I have a shot of one with an eel in its claws. The times I have seen it during the day, it was always in the trees. Interesting to see that they do hunt in daytime.
Beautiful birds. Honestly, I have trouble to tell the Brown and the Buffy Fish Owl apart. So I wouldn't dare to say which of the two it is.
Either way, cool you managed to capture its behaviour. Perhaps it was just hot....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

More
2 years 1 week ago #3749 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic Strange Behaviour
In the water its bathing, on the bank its almost certainly "anting" allowing the ants to run over it and spray their formic acid onto its feathers. Lots of birds do this as a way of maintaining their feathers, the formic acid acts as a fungicide and kills pests such as ticks etc

More
2 years 1 week ago #3750 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Strange Behaviour
That might be more likely, Geoff.
I guess the hunting normally takes place at night.
Here's the record shot of a Buffy Fish Owl in Khao Yai with an eel.

Attachments:

More
2 years 1 week ago #3754 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Strange Behaviour

Geoff Potter wrote: ...... its almost certainly "anting" allowing the ants to run over it and spray their formic acid onto its feathers.......

Now thats fascinating!!

Ton - fantastic picture - love it

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.724 seconds