What are they ?

2 years 1 day ago - 2 years 13 hours ago #3773 by Robby L
What are they ? was created by Robby L
Saw two birds at Khao Pu- Khao Ya National Park that I haven't been able to ID. The first is an all green Barbet which may be a young Red-throated, I saw several of these

The second was at the bottom of a high cliff with many bee hives. It is thrush size and in fight it appeared to have slim wings almost like a swift.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 23 hours ago #3774 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic What are they ?
i would say Green-eared Barbet and Blue rockthrush.. both look juvenile..

More
2 years 22 hours ago #3775 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic What are they ?
I thought Blue Rock Thrush also but it is like no other I have see and I have seen several including the sub species Philippinis.

Did not think of Green-eared as it is a more northern species, it was also smaller than the Red-Throated which is prominent in the area.

More
2 years 20 hours ago #3777 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic What are they ?
sorry , I didn't read your location... yes, red-throated barbet juvenile but still think blue rockthrush

More
2 years 9 hours ago #3779 by andymerk
Replied by andymerk on topic What are they ?
I think it could be juvenile white-throated rock thrush

More
1 year 11 months ago #3787 by wildambience
Replied by wildambience on topic What are they ?
I'd say the juvenile barbet in photos 2-4 is a Red-throated based on bill shape and what species are likely at that site. However the barbet in the first picture seems to have a smaller bill - was this a different bird Robby? It looks more like the size/shape of a Blue-eared Barbet.

The rock thrush is a tough one! I'd say a juvenile male Blue Rock Thrush which is acquiring it's adult plumage. The rump and back is a fairly uniform slaty colour which I wouldn't expect on a White-throated Rock Thrush. I think females/juveniles of both species can have whitish throats.

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds