Facebook Login

What are they ?

27 May 2016 08:08 - 27 May 2016 18:56 #3773 by Robby L
What are they ? was created by Robby L
Saw two birds at Khao Pu- Khao Ya National Park that I haven't been able to ID. The first is an all green Barbet which may be a young Red-throated, I saw several of these

The second was at the bottom of a high cliff with many bee hives. It is thrush size and in fight it appeared to have slim wings almost like a swift.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 May 2016 08:45 #3774 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic What are they ?
i would say Green-eared Barbet and Blue rockthrush.. both look juvenile..

27 May 2016 10:04 #3775 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic What are they ?
I thought Blue Rock Thrush also but it is like no other I have see and I have seen several including the sub species Philippinis.

Did not think of Green-eared as it is a more northern species, it was also smaller than the Red-Throated which is prominent in the area.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

27 May 2016 11:52 #3777 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic What are they ?
sorry , I didn't read your location... yes, red-throated barbet juvenile but still think blue rockthrush

27 May 2016 22:45 #3779 by andymerk
Replied by andymerk on topic What are they ?
I think it could be juvenile white-throated rock thrush

29 May 2016 18:24 #3787 by wildambience
Replied by wildambience on topic What are they ?
I'd say the juvenile barbet in photos 2-4 is a Red-throated based on bill shape and what species are likely at that site. However the barbet in the first picture seems to have a smaller bill - was this a different bird Robby? It looks more like the size/shape of a Blue-eared Barbet.

The rock thrush is a tough one! I'd say a juvenile male Blue Rock Thrush which is acquiring it's adult plumage. The rump and back is a fairly uniform slaty colour which I wouldn't expect on a White-throated Rock Thrush. I think females/juveniles of both species can have whitish throats.

22 Jun 2016 13:30 #3867 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic What are they ?
Thank you all for your input, been away for a couple of months so sorry for the delay in answering.

All the Barbets I posted are different birds there were quite a few of the all green ones around but all to far for good quality photos.

I will go with Juvenile Blue-rock Thrush and Juvenile Red-throated Barbet

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.