Facebook Login

Possibly a first

22 Aug 2017 09:11 #4583 by Robby L
Possibly a first was created by Robby L
Yesterday i went for a look at Wat Phra Phutthabat Noi to have a look for Limestone Wren-Babbler a bird I have never seen in spite of having visited there before.

Before I went I did some research on Google maps and located 2 other temples around the same rock complex, after having a good look around Phra P with no joy I had a look at the other two, the first is Wat Tam Thap Nimit where there is a lot of construction going on so I carried on to the third, this one :

There is a staircase heading up the hill and a bit up this I saw 3 small birds low to the ground and was lucky to get this shot of one of them :

I carried on to almost the top of the hill then on the way down I saw 2 more of the same small bird and got a better photo :

Phil Round has had a look at the photos and it would seem these are Juvenile Limestone Wren-Babblers which have never been described at this age.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Aug 2017 18:03 #4585 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Possibly a first
Congrats Robby!!

23 Aug 2017 10:21 #4589 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Possibly a first
Have been researching a bit more about this species and see that someone has now separated this bird into a new endemic species :

unohopix.wordpress.com/2017/06/05/rufous-limestone-babbler/

Robby

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

23 Aug 2017 13:03 #4590 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Possibly a first
Nice find and nice to hear 'we' got a new endemic!

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.