Bung Borapet 9-10th Jan 17

More
7 months 1 week ago #4755 by Robby L
Planned to start at the Waterbird Park but on arrival found they want 200b entry fee, I had never seen this mentioned in any of the reports I have read on the place so it was a surprise. Now I don’t mind paying an entry fee to a national park as I normally stay for a few nights but to have to pay to walk round then leave, not on as far as I am concerned so no thank you I will go elsewhere.

Next stop was the Aquarium area which is very tourism developed with more work in progress with trucks carting in loads of fill and dumping it in an area in front of the food shops. Other than right down the far end where there is still a small bit of swamp land there didn’t look to be much possibility of bird sightings except for White Wagtails in the parking area so it was move on again to the north side of the lake to a place I had read about by the name of Pramong Panich.

Black-browed Reed Warbler

This is accessed from road 2475 and the road down to this area is about 2 or 3KM from the turnoff from road 225. Ah now this looks more like it, ponds, water lily areas and swamps with lots of birds and right down the end near the lake abandoned buildings and fishponds. There is a large area of swamp to the left when the lake is reached and this was where I spent most of my time in the afternoon and the following morning walking the tracks along the lake front. This and driving the roads stopping and looking at anything of interest was where I had the most success ending up with photos of 33 species including 2 new to me Common Coot and Black-browed Reed Warbler. A surprise when going through the photos was a House Sparrow and a Ruddy-breasted Crake that I thought I had missed.

Common Coot

General

The lake at present is very full after the floods so what is now swamp would probably be dry cattle grazing in the dry season but should still hold birds.

I saw a sign at the waterbird park for a camp site so it should be possible to camp there no doubt for a fee..
I backed in to a covered area in one of the abandoned fish pond buildings for the night, no power, no water and no hassles.

The lake front at Pramong Panich is at GPS 15.723018—100.274170.

Had hoped for Glossy Ibis and a bird I always seem to miss out on Red Avadavat but no joy with them, next time.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 1 week ago - 7 months 1 week ago #4756 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Bung Borapet 9-10th Jan 17

Robby L wrote:
Planned to start at the Waterbird Park but on arrival found they want 200b entry fee, I had never seen this mentioned in any of the reports I have read on the place so it was a surprise. Now I don’t mind paying an entry fee to a national park as I normally stay for a few nights but to have to pay to walk round then leave, not on as far as I am concerned so no thank you I will go elsewhere.

I laughed when I read that bit Robby - I did exactly the same when I saw the gate, the fee board and all the tourists. I even went back a few months later, mid week, thinking at least I could hire a boat on my own but turned tail after seeing all the cars parked up again. One day I'll try again ;+)

More
7 months 6 days ago #4757 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Bung Borapet 9-10th Jan 17
When you do go back Paul try the place I mention on the north side no tourists no charge and few people. Only ducks were Lessor Whistling and farmed type but lots of other birds. Should also be great snake habitat for them that are interested
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

"  ..... I call on all citizens, businesses and governments to play their part in protecting the world’s wild animals and plants.The actions taken by each of us will determine the fate of the world’s wildlife.The future of wildlife is in our hands!"

United Nations Secretary-General