Park asks bird observers not to attract birds with worms

4 months 6 days ago - 4 months 6 days ago #4764 by INFO
"National park officials have sought cooperation from bird observers not to use worm to attract birds
for photography for fear that it could change the beviour of birds.

The cooperation was sought by park officials at Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park after many bird observers have used worms to attract birds to fly closer for photography, particularly at Doi Sanju and Doi Lang hills in Fang district of Chiang Mai where native birds and migratory birds will arrive in this season from January to February every year.

The use of worms to attract birds sparked widespread critism and growing concern that it could change the hunting behaviour of birds.

Park officials and conservations were concern about the hunting behaviour of these wild birds if bird observers continued to use worms to attract birds in order to get their best bird photographies.

They feared that these birds might be threatened by some opportunists who might use the same practice to catch them......"

read more of the article at............

englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/park-asks-bird...attract-birds-worms/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 5 days ago #4765 by Me too
IMHO, that's the least of Thailand's environmental problems...

More
4 months 5 days ago #4767 by onflipflops
I agree. I am somewhat on the fence when it comes to this topic. In a way it is interfering with nature which generally speaking I do not like, but on the other hand, based on the amount we have destroyed as humans, some counter-actions could actually be a good thing. Some occasional feeding is maybe helping a few of these species cling on to survival.
Also, likely if it wasn't for the bird photographers and other naturalists visiting these places, the amount of poaching would likely be even worse.

And it is the question if we should not do more of it, even for bigger wildlife. I know this is quite controversial, but if we would feed a leopard or a tiger for a few days, it would mean a few monkeys or deer will live a few days longer, increasing the chance for them to reproduce. Slowly getting back both prey and predator numbers to the population size they should be.
Nature is out of balance due to us humans, so some attempts to get it back in balance would not hurt.

In many countries 'nature-management' seems to do the opposite. They start to hunt prey animals, because there are not enough predators around to maintain the balance. But wouldn't it be better to help out the predators so they can gain in numbers, restore the balance so that they can do their job naturally?

It is good the park authorities keep an eye on the whole practice, but I definitely agree there are a lot more important topics that should be addressed. At the same time there is still enough politicians that would rather build a dam in national park areas which will do a whole lot more damage than a few bird photographers feeding worms to habituate a couple birds...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Me too

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds