Kaeng Krachan birding checks

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #4942 by INFO
Kaeng Krachan birding checks was created by INFO
We know many of you have already voiced concerns over some of the "pressures" put on some nesting birds in Kaeng Krachan by large groups and the like.

These concerns have been voiced this week by the Chief of Kaeng Krachan National Park as well who has formally instructed staff to place barriers around some of the well known nests, as well as regularly patrol the areas to ensure that birders are using blinds and not overly disturbing the birds. Anyone found to be overly pressuring these sites by breaking rules and guidance of officials will be asked to leave the park.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #4943 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic Kaeng Krachan birding checks
Totally agree...

More
6 months 1 week ago #4944 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Kaeng Krachan birding checks
yah its a good thing, I saw 20+ cars and 10+ people piled into blinds this weekend, amazing the birds dont abandon completely

More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #4965 by INFO
Replied by INFO on topic Kaeng Krachan birding checks
Its a great job they are doing - they have roped off the areas to a "safe" distance, installed cameras and patrol every couple of hours. The cameras caught 3 individuals going inside the roped areas between the patrols last week. They are also manning the KM 18 vehicle check point throughout the day to stop errant drivers.

Great work by the Chief.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #4966 by bootly66
good work.. agreed..Hopefully the offenders will be named and shamed. I have witnessed many acts of "gardening" and nest disturbance over the years. I even caught a guy years back with his hand in a b/n monarchs nest, "checking to see what was in there". When it was reported, nothing was done, probably as the rangers hadn't actually witnessed it.. The rangers I know at KK do a great job, but they are often not aware of what goes on out of sight. For example I am not against playback used in moderation, but am also aware of predator playback being used around nesting sites to distress the birds and bring them closer, which of course is not acceptable. Warning and educating offenders would be the answer in the real world, but i feel this would just not work with most... A clear warning of naming and shaming may work but could also cause a negative response by accused offenders.

More
5 months 1 week ago #4973 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic Kaeng Krachan birding checks
I have voluntarily stopped photographing the birds when they are nesting. Inside the park I would advocate a complete ban on photographing certain rarer species when they are breeding as per the UK. Predator play back? That's a new one, how low can you get.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T, bootly66

More
5 months 1 week ago #4974 by bootly66
I wouldn't want a complete ban, but I do see where you are coming from. Ideally, limited numbers and maybe a booking system, also with the lenses used by most photographers and cropping of pictures there really is no need to be so close. Hides could be set up much further back, but as I say, I really couldn't see it working as even the camera set up to monitor the birders had it's lens covered over by one person on one of the days.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #4975 by bootly66

was glad to get my picture though
Attachments:

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph