Pak Phli Nakorn Nayok

28 Dec 2019 11:05 - 29 Dec 2019 08:10 #5407 by Paul T
Pak Phli Nakorn Nayok was created by Paul T
Having survived the excesses of yet another Xmas and added a few kilos to my rotund profile I was aching to get out for a morning in nature. My car is just back from the shop with yet more expensive repairs - its reached that age (like me) when the maintenance needs are making her an expensive sidekick but she has been with me 15 years and I just can't bear to see her go.

So I searched the forum for a close by location that was just a day out and not too heavy on the old car. I decided a early morning run out to the Black Kite roost in Pak Phli (Nakorn Nayok) would be an easy option. Just an hour and a half from Bangkok and an easy early morning drive.

I was there for sun-up but theres not enough light to photograph till gone 7. Its always a hot place and the day was no exception, hot and humid. Seems that "winter" did not last long in central Thailand, let's hope we get another mini cold spell comes before the onslaught of the hot season. Sadly the rice in the surrounding fields had already been harvested, so that limited what I had in mind but there were plenty of birds and photo opportunities. I did not bother with the black kites as I have photographed them before but there were plenty of other species to make a nice day out........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Dec 2019 11:09 - 28 Dec 2019 12:28 #5408 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Pak Phli Nakorn Nayok
Some of the very common species from the day at Pak Phli .......

1. Asian Golden Weaver
2. Asian Pied Starling
3. Plain Prinia
4. White throated kingfisher
5. Blue Tailed Bee eater
6. Zebra Dove

28 Dec 2019 11:16 #5409 by Paul T
A surprise for me because even though I was not bothering with the kites I often take pictures at different distances to see how my long lens setup (cam and lens and convertor) is for critical focus at longer lengths (it was slightly out) so I choose a kite in a distant tree only to find out it was a Spotted Eagle when I was looking at it at home on the computer.

This Striated Grass bird (the only species placed in the genus Megalurus according to Wiki) was so close I had to drop to the 300 mm lens........

Attachments:

28 Dec 2019 11:20 - 28 Dec 2019 12:09 #5410 by Paul T
Doing the IDs was fairly straight forward but these three cuckoos (?) have me stumped so if anyone can help me ID them it would be immensely appreciated. The second two pics are the same species (same bird photographed twice - a juvenile of something I think) ........

Attachments:

16 Jan 2020 14:16 #5416 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic Pak Phli Nakorn Nayok
Hi Paul,

The cuckoo pics are all of Plaintive Cuckoo - Cacomantis merulinus.

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com