Bird Netting

13 Jul 2020 11:46 #5457 by Paul Rudd
Bird Netting was created by Paul Rudd
I am very agitated about the Thai man across the road setting up 3 Bird nets about 15 feet high x 30 feet long in various spots on his property.
He is catching every type of native bird that happens to fly into the nets, e.g. honeyeaters, doves, fantails, wrens etc.etc.
I have asked my Thai to come and explain to them how important these birds are to the environment but she doesn't want to cause a problem.
Can anyone tell me whether it is illegal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jul 2020 15:18 #5458 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Bird Netting
The use of the nets is not illegal.

Where illegality would come into play would be a) if a protected species were caught b) if the nets where placed in an area that had legal protections c) if trade in the species caught was controlled.

An option could be a take some photos and send the location to the BCST (email or via their Facebook site). If they consider anything legally or morally needs to be actioned by themselves they can take it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Rudd

21 Jul 2020 01:04 #5459 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Bird Netting
I have seen this done in the forest as well. Also outside bat caves, I didn't even think bats had much meat on them.

15 Aug 2020 10:27 #5472 by Paul Rudd
Replied by Paul Rudd on topic Bird Netting
Well, I would say that bats have more meat on them than the tiny birds the man is catching and to be honest I wouldn't care if it was bats he was catching rather than our precious native birds.

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com