Facebook Login

Pathum Thani Rice Research Center

17 Mar 2021 09:19 - 09 Apr 2021 18:35 #5608 by Paul T
Pathum Thani Rice Research Center was created by Paul T
On Tuesday morning I took the opportunity, caused by waking up early, to take a drive out to Thanyaburi (just north of Bangkok) to see the Pathum Thani Rice Research Center. It sits between the Eastern Asian University and the Rangsit Zoo/Royal Gems Golf course. It's a government facility that has a matrix of rice growing fields for research into rice strains and yields and so forth. The field workers start their daily tasks around 8:30 so before that one has good access to the empty fields which are all in different states of the rice growth cycle.There was a whole host of plain's birdlife there when I visited including black kite, painted stork, black headed ibis (2 birds), eastern harrier, pied harrier, sandpipers, herons and a host of waterbirds that I did not know the names of (I am not a "birder" so don't have the knowledge) there and it was a very enjoyable early morning photo trip close to Bangkok.The actual rice paddies are shown in the red box (the fields are the white track matrix) on the following map......

And here are a few of the photos I took .....

Marsh Wood Sandpipers in breeding plumage duelling....  
Eastern cattle egret in breeding plumage - very common but very beautiful... 
Black-headed ibis (Threskiornis melanocephalus).... 

And a mammal! Ricefield rat (Rattus argentiventer) 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: onflipflops

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2021 21:09 #5609 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic Pathum Thani Rice Research Center
Great pics, Paul! I especially love the in-flight pic of the ibis!

I've actually yet to make it here myself (given the same species are mostly found at Lat Krabang paddies), but it's been on my radar for a while haha. By the way, your dueling sandpipers are Wood SPs, not Marsh.

18 Mar 2021 04:32 - 18 Mar 2021 04:40 #5610 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Pathum Thani Rice Research Center
Cheers Ben! I will correct the error (I suspect I make quite a few on bird ID). If there had been no cloud that morning they would have been really good shots of these sandpipers but the light was a struggle as the sun had broken but still obscured by cloud and ISO was was still way up - reason for me to try again :+)

One thing I like about this place was that its was motorway all the way. 

24 Mar 2021 10:41 - 24 Mar 2021 11:50 #5611 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Pathum Thani Rice Research Center
I had another visit to the rice institute yesterday as the weather forecast was for a short bright spell in the early morning. As I was now comfortable with the area I could pick my spots and take my time a little more. I still plan another visit because I noticed there is a nice pond in the very back corner from where the Pied harrier seems to start his morning run. Its very enjoyable for me as a "non-birder" because it does not matter how common the bird is, its still a first time photographing it for me : )

Male Greater painted snipe

Female Greater painted snipe 
Siberian/Asian Stonechat

Scaly breathed munia

Purple heron

White rumped munia 

Now looking for some new places, close to Bangkok, to play in.
Attachments:

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.