Facebook Login

Golden-crested myna mating

25 Mar 2021 10:28 - 25 Mar 2021 10:33 #5613 by Paul T
Golden-crested myna mating was created by Paul T
Last month I took a series of pictures in Kaeng Krachan National Park of a pair of golden-crested mynas (Ampeliceps coronatus). The pictures were taken over about a three week period and it was very interesting to watch. In truth they are taken right on the edge of what my camera and lens setup can resolve at distance and these are heavy crops (except the first two pictures). 

Initially there was a flock (I presume a mating flock) that came together of about 30 birds which were quite rowdy and constantly on the move from tree to tree together in a range of just a few hundred meters. During this period I had a good camera view of one particular tree and the sun was in the right direction in the late afternoon. I was able to photograph with the male and female of the species ........

The male golden-crested myna (Ampeliceps coronatus) ...

The female golden-crested myna (Ampeliceps coronatus) ...

At the end of that week we returned to same location and noticed that a male was constantly inspecting an old nest/hole in the same tree ....

A couple of weeks later we returned to the location and noticed the flock had disappeared but there was a single male and female pair continually flying in and out of the nest hole. I was able to photograph the male leaving the nest hole .....

...and the female also ....

Again we went off into the forest and thought that was the end of it photographically speaking but on returning to the site a few days later we were lucky to witness to the mating of the pair ...

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Mar 2021 21:09 #5615 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic Golden-crested myna mating
Another great set, Paul. 

A bird commonly seen in flight, but can be difficult to get perched such as these. Thanks again for sharing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.