Facebook Login

Lat Krabang

25 Oct 2021 19:10 - 25 Oct 2021 19:13 #5684 by Paul T
A new season. was created by Paul T
Well I have been in a bit of a photo hibernation for the last few months, but last week I finally got up the impetus of braving a long drive for nothing but cloud and rain and started some day trips to get back into the groove. I had a few gear failures and I am sure Nikon Thailand will do well for their share holders this year based on what the repair costs are but while the stuff is being repaired I dusted off some old camera gear and got myself out there looking for water birds.

Needless to say it's been quiet but its getting me enthused again. I started with north west Ayuthaya which is a swimming pool with the river breaking its banks but there were hundreds of whistling ducks and lots of harriers as well a kites. Most just too far away for my little 400 or my old manually focusing longer lens. Will head off to Nakorn Nayok if the weather holds tomorrow.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Oct 2021 08:23 #5685 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic A new season.
Nice photos, Paul.

I see you've been out at Nakhon Pathom, too, for the Great Thick-knee, or did you find another one?

I'm finally looking forward to getting up to Paneon Thung in late November. Until then it'll only be weekend day trips for me

27 Oct 2021 06:12 - 02 Nov 2021 12:13 #5686 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic A new season.
Yes Ben, that was Nakon Pathom. I have been using eBird (am still looking for a ruddy breasted crake :+) and did about 7 locations last week but some were nothing more than a busy country road between two rice fields which was a bit frustrating after a long drive. Am just back from Pathum Thani Rice Institute and Pak Phli but both very quiet, both full of water, got a couple of shots of the usual suspects which I will post later. Was going to try Khlong Thamru this morning but my alarm did not go off so will wait for the weather for that (weather does not look great for next few days).

UPDATE: ___________

Visited Khlong Thamru but was not my kind of place, typically ugly east coast semi-developed area with a lot of dogs. Not one I will go back to.

27 Oct 2021 12:15 - 27 Oct 2021 12:24 #5687 by Paul T
The ubiquitous Black eared kites from Pak Phli - Tha Reua  ..... always accommodating for a photo ...

Attachments:

27 Oct 2021 12:16 #5688 by Paul T
Eastern yellow wagtail from Pathom Thani .....

Attachments:

27 Oct 2021 12:17 - 27 Oct 2021 12:18 #5689 by Paul T
Amur stonechat (?) male and female 

Attachments:

27 Oct 2021 12:20 - 27 Oct 2021 13:53 #5690 by Paul T
And this is from Pak Phli which I think is the Deignan's prinia (?) it has a clearly speckled back of it its head as you can see in the second shots ..... not sure.

Attachments:

27 Oct 2021 19:13 #5691 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic A new season.
All your other IDs look spot on, but the prinia is a Plain Prinia.

Interestingly (annoyingly), Brown Prinia over the last couple of years has had its preferred common name changed from Brown Prinia, to Deignan's Prinia, and now back to Brown Prinia!! Regardless, Brown Prinia is more of a woodland bird. and shows a darker, more robust bill, among other features - there are many mislabeled photos of Brown Prinia online, too, making it harder to double check haha

28 Oct 2021 08:11 #5692 by Paul T

All your other IDs look spot on, but the prinia is a Plain Prinia.

Ah well ......... back to the drawing board :+) Friday looks decent weather again, time for another try.

04 Nov 2021 09:16 #5695 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Lat Krabang
I had a morning at Lat Krabang, very quiet, lots of water but got to sit by waters edge and just soak up being out the city.

So here I go again with my dodgy bird ID skills......

I do believe that this one is Motacilla tschutschensis taivana, Eastern Yellow wagtail (green headed)

and this one (I do hate trying to ID warblers) is a Black-browed Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus bistrigiceps)

Attachments:

Moderators: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.