Silver pheasant breeding?

6 years 5 months ago - 5 years 1 week ago #356 by
Silver pheasant breeding? was created by
We need a female Silver pheasant to proceed with breeding. Does anyone know a breeder, apart from the Chiang Mai Zoo? More details here: http://dokmaidogma.wordpress.com/2011/12/02/a-breeding-program-for-silver-pheasant/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #1781 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Silver pheasant breeding?
No help am afraid but here is a wild male from Kaeng Krachan...........

(PS very happy to see you are actively continuing with the blog, it is still one of my favourite reads on Thailand)
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago #1782 by onflipflops
No idea where to get one, except from the wild, but don't think that should be encouraged ;).
Seems the same subspecies as in Khao Yai (L. n. jonesi?). That might be an important thing to keep in mind before you find another female. You can see the one pictured by trekker is a different subspecies. Though good chance they will breed regardless the difference in subspecies...

Good luck with the breeding project.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #1811 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Silver pheasant breeding?
Its no secret I am a duffer on birds, Flipflops realised there was something wrong with my ID straight away.

Someone has very kindly pointed out that my pics are in fact a Kalij Pheasant (Lophura leucomelanos).

From Wiki:

The Kalij Pheasant is closely related to the Silver Pheasant and the two are known to hybridize. The placement of the taxa lineata and crawfurdi has been a matter of dispute, with some treating them as subspecies of the Kalij Pheasant and others as subspecies of the Silver Pheasant. Source WikiPedia

More
4 years 1 month ago #1815 by jonathanbkk
There are European and American breeders of this species and most are hatching March-June thus that might be an option

Also know of a few breeders at JJ market of other pheasants who might be able to help you

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds