[SOLVED] Kaeng Krachan Bird ID Needed

5 years 2 days ago #1026 by jonathanbkk
Not sure about the name of this one, found bug hunting on the trees near the mountain top of KK

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 day ago #1029 by onflipflops
It's a Velvet-fronted Nuthatch.

Beautiful bird, nice shot!

More
5 years 1 day ago #1031 by jonathanbkk
Thank you for the ID, one of these days I need to buy the Thai Bird book (English version)

any suggestions on which one to buy?

Recently picked up the Butterflies of Thailand book listed on the home page, what an amazing deep book, never would have thought so many species would exist in Thailand!

More
5 years 1 day ago #1036 by Painted Jezebel

jonathanbkk wrote: Thank you for the ID, one of these days I need to buy the Thai Bird book (English version)

any suggestions on which one to buy?

Recently picked up the Butterflies of Thailand book listed on the home page, what an amazing deep book, never would have thought so many species would exist in Thailand!

I use 'A Field Guide to the Birds of Thailand' by Craig Robson. Not too bulky, and good information.

Regarding the Butterflies of Thailand book, this second edition is much better than the first with most of the id errors corrected. There are still some glitches, e.g. from page 394 to the end, ignore the scale size shown at the bottom right hand corner of each picture page. They are all incorrect. Also, on page 786, Pisuth says the wingspan on Hasora mavis is 37mm. This is wrong, it is 47mm. ( I should know, it is my specimen). There are others, too many to list here.

The number of species in Thailand should not be too much of a suprise, the country having two seperate faunal areas, north and south of the Isthmus of Kra, each area with different species/subspecies. New species for Thailand are still being found.

More
4 years 11 months ago #1042 by onflipflops
The bird field guide by Craig Robson mentioned above is the most popular one amongst birdwatchers, however, personally I prefer the Birds of Thailand from Lekagul & Round. The drawings/ colors are more acurate. But The field guide of Robson is more comprehensive.

Not asked, but maybe of interest. The same publisher as from the guide of Craig Robson - New Holland publishers, or something - has published a book called the Field guide of the reptiles of Southeast Asia by Indraneil Das since 2010.
I don't know if there has been a new edition after the first one, but there are quite a few mistakes. They've even mixed up the numbers of some of the most iconic species, the Reticulated Python and what they call the Indian Rock Python (Burmese Python). With so many more species that are less known you don't get much trust in a book if they can't even get the most easy, well-known species right.

Besides that the drawings are absolutely useless. I prefer the little photographic guide to the reptiles of Thailand. Might not be as comprehensive but contains most of the common species and with pictures it makes it much easier to identify. Though with many color and pattern differences within species, it's hard to be 100% sure.
The other guide might be useful if you're into counting scales and all that, but other than that it hasn't really solved any of the questions I had.
Recently a new book has been published by Indraneil Das. A Naturalist's Guide to the Snakes of Southeast Asia. I haven't seen it yet, but expect it's an interesting book.

More
4 years 11 months ago #1043 by onflipflops
One question, does anybody know a good field guide about amphibians of Thailand?

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds