Banded Kingfisher

4 years 11 months ago #1067 by jonathanbkk
Kaeng Krachan had a pair on nest and two hardcore birders were there waiting for 3 hours for the male and female to return to the nest, I showed up and both the female and male were there 3 times within 30 minutes. Much to their frustration I took my shots (albeit a bit far away) and moved on :)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #1070 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Banded Kingfisher
What a fantastic looking bird!

More
4 years 11 months ago #1073 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Banded Kingfisher
Beautiful bird. I'm not a birder but even I would consider waiting in a hide to shoot such a handsome boy.

BTW Remember a similar situation on my first and, so far, only (shame on me) visit to Kaeng Krachan.
Bird photographers waiting at a particular spot to photograph the Black-backed Kingfisher.
Did not want to bother them and continued and just a bit further down the road there it was sitting on a branch hanging over a small pool. I did not get away with any decent pictures as the light was terrible, but felt sorry for the guys waiting for this little colorful bird. Though I bet their patience will pay off sooner or later and deliver them some incredible shots.

I actually prefer actively 'hunting' for wildlife instead of waiting in a hide with a long lens, but in the end results might be better when shot from a hide on a carefully chosen spot.

More
4 years 11 months ago #1077 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Banded Kingfisher
I am the same as you I like to be active and bring the animals to us. My lens is a 300mm with a 1.5x extender which is a great lens to shoot on the go and although heavy, I dont mind carrying it on the chest strap of my backpack for that once in a lifetime trail shot of a rare animal.

I have tried to learn some patience to wait out some of the more rare birds and also water holes in dry season but its something I need to work on because I would usually be happier moving. Also as noted before my car is a great platform for animals, you can cover a lot of ground plus in places like Khao Yai animals seem less afraid of cars. In some experiences you scare them off once you leave your car, not while you are in it!

It also amazes me how many people in places like KK have massive lenses. Knowing most of these lenses cost 300,000 baht up and seeing full set ups way over 500,000 baht I am always amazed.

No doubt birders can be hardcore, rangers at KK told me that its gotten so extreme that recently rare and hard to photograph birds nests are being destroyed by a photographer who wants to be "the only one with the shot" and not share the beauty with others.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #1079 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Banded Kingfisher
Wait till you get old like me. A good hide day is 8 hours sat dozing in a comfy field chair, 50% of the time awake, 50% of the time using my patented snoring call technique. Heaven!

More
4 years 11 months ago #1081 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Banded Kingfisher
That's quite sick, destroying birds nests to make sure you're the only one with a great shot. Some people truly loose their minds and they might ruin the future for all naturalists, including themselves. I suppose (hope) this is a rare incident, hopefully followed up by the DNP. This is just as bad as poaching.

And indeed, I see many Thais walking around with equipment that's worth several year-salaries for the average Thai. There is a big difference between the rich and the poor. At least good to see they are truly enjoying nature, not just driving by for a facebook picture and then continuing at crazy speeds to the next viewpoint. It always makes me laugh, these pretty girls in their fashion clothing posing in the grasslands of Khao Yai. Their bf's possibly looking even more ridiculous holding an iPad with a cover panel looking like a large book in front of their faces. I'm glad Apple was wise enough not to put a phone in the iPad, because for sure the people here would be using it.

I'm using a 300mm too, on a full-frame camera, but without extender. The lens has a max aperture of f/4, , no vibrate reduction. A 300mm f/2.8 with vibrate reduction would be a better option in the dark jungle, especially with my far from steady arms. But I can't really afford the Nikkor 300mm f2.8 VR.
Carrying it around would be a bit of a struggle, but I think it's worth it for that once in a lifetime opportunity. I guess I should keep saving...

The snoring call technique sounds very interesting. Too bad it's patented...

One thing that I find a bit scary when sitting in a hide would be the larger wildlife approaching while you have no chance to get away quickly. Maybe that same snoring technique would be the solution...

More
Moderators: bootly66
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds