Is this a Tenasserim Langur?

09 Mar 2015 10:12 - 09 Mar 2015 16:58 #2735 by Alex
Is this a Tenasserim Langur? was created by Alex
I saw this Langur at Kaeng Krachan last weekend. At first i thought i was watching the usual Dusky Langurs but then realised that these monkeys were all much darker. Can anyone who knows about these things confirm that this is a Tenasserim langur?
I had a great couple of days in the park, and was lucky enough to spot a Binturong.
I came across a few camera traps whilst walking some of the short trails with my kids. Sorry if these belong to anyone on this forum, you now have a few additional photos of my children!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2015 12:35 #2736 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Is this a Tenasserim Langur?
I believe its a Banded Langur. Presbytis femoralis.

theres a thread on the subject of here..........

www.wildlifethailand.com/forums/38-mamma...76-tenasserim-lutung

There has been a lot of confusion over the ID of the Tenasserim Langur/Lutung, including from myself.

Sweet you saw a Binturong - I have never seen one, its one of my hoper species (i.e. I hope to see one one day)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex

09 Mar 2015 13:24 #2737 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic Is this a Tenasserim Langur?
Thank you for the info. I don't recall ever seeing these before, it's always good to see a new species!

09 Mar 2015 13:51 #2738 by wildambience
Replied by wildambience on topic Is this a Tenasserim Langur?
Alex,

the short answer - I don't know for sure! The Langur you have photographed is the same as in some of the photos in the following thread - www.wildlifethailand.com/forums/38-mamma...76-tenasserim-lutung

There seems to be still some confusion on the taxonomy of Tennaserim Lutung and very few reliable photos of this species that we can use as a comparison.

Here is a link to one of the few photos I have seen of it - www.planet-mammiferes.org/drupal/en/node...obine%2FTracBar2.jpg

And another here about half way down this page - www.ctoz.nl/vol73/nr04/a03

My guess is that your photo & those in the other thread mentioned above are all of Presbytis femoralis ssp. robinsoni (Robinson's Banded Langur) as suggested by Trekker previously. The smallish faces and straight nose in the photos look more like the genus Presbytis (Surili) to me.

Would be great to get some more photos and footage which could demonstrate the differences more clearly, assuming Tenasserim Langur can indeed be seen in Kaeng Krachan.

Can anyone offer some further comments to help clear up confusion?

Marc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex

09 Mar 2015 16:28 #2740 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic Is this a Tenasserim Langur?
Thanks again for your help and information. I'm not sure i'm ever going to know as most of these Langurs look pretty similar to me! I'll stick with the Banded Langur.

26 Jul 2016 13:32 #3913 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Is this a Tenasserim Langur?
Last week I saw the same species of Langur in Kaeng Krachan at the parking spot at 27.5 KM, it was sitting on a branch that I could see through a gap in the trees with its head down possibly asleep. I made a small noise and its head came up and it looked around which is when I got this photo.

There was a female White Handed Gibbon in another tree close by.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.
Attachments:

26 Jul 2016 15:45 - 26 Jul 2016 16:04 #3917 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Is this a Tenasserim Langur?
Hi Robby,

At this point this is considered to be the Banded Langur, Presbytis femoralis robinsoni, but when compared with images of other Banded Langurs further South, it seems to differ a lot. I have heard from some people that perhaps at some point the Banded Langurs from Kaeng Krachan might be described as a new species. We will see.
These Banded Langurs are relatively common in Kaeng Krachan, though only a few troops have been habituated a bit to seeing people/ cars. It's not as easily seen as the Dusky Langurs. Though these are equally shy when you hike in areas where few people go. Getting good views of any primates that do not often come in contact with people, is very hard.
Mostly the Banded Langurs are seen at a bit higher elevation in Kaeng Krachan. Though earlier this year I have seen some just a couple hundred metres in the km18 Pranburi Trail. But maybe they had moved down a bit due to the extreme drought this year. Usually best chance is from about km24 onwards

I haven't heard of anyone who has seen the Tenasserim Langur, Trachypithecus barbei in Thailand. It might be that at this point this species no longer(?) occurs in Thailand, but only in Myanmar... But who knows in some remote locations in Western Thailand...
Very little is known about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robby L

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2023 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.