Facebook Login

Sunda Pangolin, Manis javanica

05 Aug 2016 22:55 #3927 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Sunda Pangolin, Manis javanica
Since seeing the camera trap shot in this post on the Sunda Pangolin, I really hoped to see one someday.
Last trip to Kaeng Krachan, just before the park closed, we were extremely fortunate to see this extremely cute little creature. It was a rather young one.

I had read that they climb trees, but was nevertheless surprised about the ease with which it climbed a tree.

Let's hope these critically endangered creatures will survive the high demand from Chinese buyers.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2016 00:17 #3928 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic Sunda Pangolin, Manis javanica
Absolutely amazing shot, how did you get that close?

06 Aug 2016 11:37 - 06 Aug 2016 11:40 #3929 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Sunda Pangolin, Manis javanica
Thanks Geoff,

Well, they do not exactly run away ;-) ...
It rolls up in a ball when you approach, and when you wait it will slowly open up, as seen in the first shot.
It seemed like it was faster climbing trees than while 'running'.
I guess that's why these creatures are critically endangered. They are rather noisy when moving through leaf litter, and will be easy to capture by poachers. And with the numbers dwindling, I presume the price will only go up, so the future of these animals doesn't look good.

06 Aug 2016 18:38 #3932 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Sunda Pangolin, Manis javanica
Stunning shots Ton!!

02 May 2021 18:56 #5633 by steve erickson
Replied by steve erickson on topic Sunda Pangolin, Manis javanica
We just had one show up at our house in a village in Lamphun province.  I am out of town so only saw pictures.  Not sure anyone knew what it was. 

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.