Facebook Login

Common animal signs, scat and tracks

27 Dec 2016 14:42 - 27 Dec 2016 15:02 #4142 by Bernard Lundie
Replied by Bernard Lundie on topic Common animal signs, scat and tracks
Hello

Could i get help with an ID on a scat and of footprints found at Nam Nao?

I am keen to expand my tracking knowledge and would love help on this occasion on highlighting claw marks. I genuinely couldn't see claw marks here but i think ive been proved otherwise and i guess it may not always be as obvious as dog and fox tracks from my home country.
The last two prints without the rule were in wet mud.

Any more info on context please ask.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Dec 2016 17:13 #4143 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Common animal signs, scat and tracks
In that size range I would say either a young leopard or an asian golden cat, pad does not look wide enough for a clouded leopard.

27 Dec 2016 21:21 #4146 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Common animal signs, scat and tracks
I am seeing nails in 2 of the 3 footprints. Only in 100_1206.JPG (the least clear print) the nails are not clearly visible, but this might simply be because it is not a clear print and because the sticks/ grass that might have blocked the nails for a clear imprint. Is this from the same location as the other two?

The nails are clear in the other two footprints, especially in the best print you photographed: 100_1203.JPG, which shows all 4 nails.
Also 100_1199.JPG has toe nails, but in this image only clearly visible at the outer toes, left and right.

As you probably know there is only one cat in Thailand that in regular pace would have visible nails in its footprints, which is the Fishing Cat. But to be honest, to me these prints look more dog like in shape.

My first thought was Dhole, but when I grabbed the ruler to check how big 4 to 4.5cm really is, it turned out to be a bit smaller than I thought it would be. So I am now more hanging towards Golden Jackal. Generally adult Dhole prints are a bit bigger in my experience. Of course it does not have to be an adult...
Did it seem like one or many individuals?

28 Dec 2016 03:10 #4147 by Bernard Lundie
Thankyou for the replies.

There are three prints here.Two in an old completely dry pool moved the log visible and some pine needles in the picture to get a better look at one of them.
However the other dry track and the wet one i moved nothing so if you can see claw in those ones im happy to go with that
The other in the wet mud without the rule i assume was much fresher as that pool was drying up too. Indeed the next day the footprint was besmirched by a Sambar and there was much small mammal and bird activity around. The wet mud track was only a few moments away. If anyone knows Nam Nao i could give a more detailed description and by all means i see no reason the dry tracks should not be their.

In my admittedly less experienced opinion it was the fresh print in wet mud that swung me to golden cat as i couldn't see any trace of claw and there was less surface pitting and debris than the dry mud to confuse me. Is domestic dog likely in that area? I seen none at campsite but the road is in earshot

P.S this was my first foray into the Thailand were I spent a week in Nam Nao and loved it. Only to be hospitalized and back in scotland by a Chiang mai moped. I will be back!

28 Dec 2016 03:13 #4148 by Bernard Lundie
and by three prints i meant to imply no frantic pack activity was at all apparent

28 Dec 2016 13:40 #4149 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Common animal signs, scat and tracks
If it were Dholes there is a high chance, though not necessarily (I have seen Dholes traveling by themselves or in couples, even a solitary Dhole taking down a Red muntjac by himself) that there would have been more tracks. Especially since the tracks seem too small for adult Dhole, so if young ones there almost certainly should have been more tracks around.
So Golden Jackal is still the most likely contender in my opinion. They are often alone.
It's a long time ago that I have visited Nam Nao NP. So I don't dare to say if the presence of domestic dogs is likely.

The wet track (1205 & 1206) is not the clearest, so I would not bet my life on it. Of all the cat pugmarks, the Asian Golden Cat prints are the most doglike in my opinion (apart from lacking claws). Bit longer shape, and at least in my book quite a bit of space between pad and toes unlike the other cat species. So who knows... I hope it is, but somehow I have my doubts.
The other two with the claws (claws are even visible in the picture before you removed the wood) I will definitely stick to Golden Jackal.

01 Jun 2019 06:03 #5227 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Common animal signs, scat and tracks
would be grateful for identification on any of these: all from khao yai

1.)

2.)

3.) smelled of cinnamon

01 Jun 2019 07:41 - 02 Jun 2019 08:08 #5230 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Common animal signs, scat and tracks
1) hard to say but potential large pad in photo would make one assume sun bear.
2) Do you have a size reference? Probably Dhole.
3) Porcupine

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2019 wildlifethailand.com