A Kaeng Krachan Leopard

20 Sep 2016 18:21 #3962 by Paul T
A Kaeng Krachan Leopard was created by Paul T
One of our recent project photos from Kaeng Krachan of a male indochinese leopard (Panthera pardus delacouri). The photo is from a camera trap and we have been blessed with two good leopard photos this year - normally we end up with a tail or a nose only. Magnificent creatures and a testament to Thai National Parks.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Sep 2016 12:03 #3965 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic A Kaeng Krachan Leopard
Great to see these amazing creatures still walking around in the wild.

Hope to meet it again next season ;-) And his/ her black brother/ sister...

01 Aug 2017 17:33 #4520 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic A Kaeng Krachan Leopard
Am sat at the computer sorting my photos for the Kaeng Krachan 2016/17 season and thought I would post a few more of the keang krachan leopards:

This one is from last month.....

This one about 4 months ago......

and this one was last year ...... but still my favourite ......
Attachments:

01 Aug 2017 18:30 - 01 Aug 2017 18:31 #4521 by onflipflops
I like the following shot of yours a lot with the beautiful natural light, and the natural 'vignetting'.

But yes, the shot of last year is another big favorite of mine. It feels wilder i guess, even more true jungle like.

It is hard to choose, the new series is very cool as well!

Keep up the great work!
Attachments:

01 Aug 2017 20:16 #4522 by Paul T
Thanks flip-flops! Here is one that did not make the latest collection - its OK at web size but a tad soft in the face at full size so it was binned.
Attachments:

01 Aug 2017 23:40 #4523 by onflipflops
I love the colors of the background.
Would be really cool if focus will be spot on, and preferably with the leopard looking at the camera. Next time ;-)
Is this morning or late afternoon?
It must be frustrating being so close to a fantastic shot but that focus is too far off or the pose just not great, which could be totally different a split second later or earlier. Still a pretty cool result.

If I may ask, what shutter speed were these shot at? Do you set the cams totally manual or is it aperture mode?

I guess too long shutter speed causes ghosting if the background is not dark enough, also it would mean only one shot especially in dark conditions.

It's too bad that proper active IR beam triggers are so expensive, I guess that would be a good tool - if set up correctly - to get more accurate placing of subject and focus. Complicated to set up though.

02 Aug 2017 05:23 - 02 Aug 2017 05:23 #4524 by Paul T

If I may ask, what shutter speed were these shot at? Do you set the cams totally manual or is it aperture mode?

Everything is manual - 125-160s normally - depending on the set. If its a walk past 160 minimum, if its a set that slows the animal then 125 (sometimes lower).

02 Aug 2017 20:08 #4525 by onflipflops
Thanks for the explanation

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com