Tiger's death reflects failure in forest management

22 Jan 2017 08:43 #4204 by Robby L
Early this month, villagers in tambon Mae Thot of Thoen district in the northern province of Lampang discovered tiger footprints and heard roars. On Jan 8, they found a tiger suffering from exhaustion hiding in a cassava plantation. The villagers contacted officials from the conservation office under the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) for assistance.

More at : www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1184561...in-forest-management

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jan 2017 11:50 #4205 by Paul T
Very interesting, my favorite quote is:

"Trees remain in the forest but not creatures which serve as the tigers' food and which enhance the ecosystem."

Panudet Kerdmali, secretary-general of the Seub Nakhasathien Foundation,

22 Jan 2017 13:48 #4207 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Tiger's death reflects failure in forest management
Yes, I already mentioned this case in reply to the Clouded Leopard sighting of Peter Ericsson.
Very interesting indeed. A shame the tiger had an unfortunate ending :(

If it was off the radar for so many years, and last photographed in Mae Wong, it was likely wandering around in the forests North of Mae Wong where I guess the researchers are not doing as much camera trapping(?). Still the fact it survived all those years, likely means these areas do support a bit of a prey base.
And actually it makes me hopeful of a return of this species. It seems like all is not lost, but obviously very important is that all hunting, especially also on its prey species will totally stop.

It also makes a return of tigers in e.g. Khao Yai more likely if the population further east is doing OK... Even better if those wildlife crossings over the 304 road are in place. But the illegal logging in the East is worrying, I suppose those loggers would not hesitate to shoot a tiger whenever the opportunity arises.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com