Whale Boats

24 Aug 2017 20:19 #4595 by Paul T
Whale Boats was created by Paul T
Does anyone know anything about the whale watching boats, i.e, what locations they go from, what times of year they operate, any other info? I want to go to see them but not on a weekend organized tour type thing - I just want to show up when the need grasps me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Aug 2017 21:03 #4596 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Whale Boats
I guess you have already found: www.wildencounterthailand.com/

I have heard very positive stories about this. But haven't had the time to try. Contacted them earlier this year, actually for some others who wanted to visit. That was in February I think, but turned out that was not the season. I think they told me to contact around September.
But forgot the exact months the Bryde's whales are around.

If there are other local boats, I have no idea. But since this seems to be ran by the researchers studying these animals, I would guess it is worth the try.

I certainly hope to try this for myself someday, but surely that won't be anytime soon.

Let me know if you get some good experience, and how you organized it.

27 Aug 2017 07:24 #4597 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Whale Boats
Thanks Ton! I had seen that one, theres two others also which have websites but I am looking for something a little smaller and more personal.

27 Aug 2017 11:54 #4598 by onflipflops
I understand. I don't know where exactly they start from . I heard it is somewhere in Phetchaburi. If you can find a pier there and contact some local fishermen, perhaps that will work. Good luck!

27 Aug 2017 12:17 - 18 Sep 2017 13:42 #4599 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Whale Boats
I found one location in Baan Laem, Petchaburi and am planning to go there and ask soon - its about 3 km north of Had Chao Samran on western side of the 4028.

Also found a contact in Bang Taboon. For whale-watching reservations, contact Chamroon Pongpitak, a co-ordinator at Bang Taboon, on 032-581-233

The Brides are the all year but other whales join at certain times, best "season" is October, November, December and January. November reputed to be best.

29 Aug 2017 12:26 #4605 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic Whale Boats
I have a contact that can provide a small / medium sized boat for about 15,000.00 per day including food snacks etc. It can seat about 8-10 people comfortably. Having rented it we can also choose to take less people if we want.

I have used this guy before as have friends and have had some amazing sightings, well worth it. Best time seems to be October to November but apparently there are already sightings this year. Best avoid weekends as these whaling trips are getting more and more popular with the weekend Hua Hin crowd. Boat leaves from Bang Tabun which is about half way between Samut Songkram and Bang Laem.

03 Sep 2017 13:45 #4615 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Whale Boats
Ok I am in.

03 Sep 2017 21:41 #4616 by onflipflops
Sadly this whaling season, I won't be able to go, but next year I am in ;-)

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com