Dugongs (sea cows)

04 Oct 2023 16:05 #7001 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Dugongs (sea cows)
That is an impressive piece of video!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jul 2024 19:09 #7023 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Dugongs (sea cows)
I paddled from Kantang to Libong recently, took the whole afternoon and I didn't quite make it, I got to that small island mentioned earlier and didn't think I would get to Libong before dark, so I camped there.  The ranger station is still there and dogs barked at me for a long time but nobody came out to check so I think the staff might have been absent that night.

In the morning paddled across to Libong where they've now erected entrance fee signs with 400 charged for foreigners so I didn't hang around long there lest I be asked to pay some money.  Tide was out so I walked in shallow water and pulled the packraft behind me with bags in it.  Thought I was approaching a large stone which turned out to be a big green turtle.  I guess he'd been there a few hours since low tide, it was lucky it was early morning, in the middle of the day it would have been very hot.  I tried to pick him up to put him in my boat to take him into deeper water but got a slap in the face from a flipper for my troubles.  They're really heavy, this one was about 50kg I reckon.  Decided to just keep him cool until the tide came in a bit more, then pushed him from behind like a car stuck in a ditch.  He looked fine once we got into about 50cm of water and he could swim. I think he would have been fine without me, might have had to wait a bit longer for the tide that's all.

On Libong I stayed at a homestay type place with a dog.  I'd only been there half an hour and the dog was barking like crazy.  I went to investigate and the dog was clawing at a hole in the ground from which I could hear some guttural hissing noises emerging.  The occupant of the hole had had enough after a while of this intrusion and out shot a 2-metre monocled cobra.  I nearly fell over backwards but it was fully focused on the dog, not me.  The dog had it in it's mouth a couple of times before it slithered off.

I went up to Point Dugong but only saw a turtle.  Then the next day paddled back to Hat Yao.  Didn't see anything in the water.
Attachments:

03 Jul 2024 19:15 #7024 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Dugongs (sea cows)

This was a nice paddle but you want to time it to be going with the tide, it's a lot easier.  At this time of year skies are generally overcast; it's not so hot.
Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2024 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.