Facebook Login

Sumatran Serow (Capricornis sumatraensis)

27 Mar 2013 19:29 - 17 May 2013 12:41 #866 by Paul T
A video look at one of Thailand's strangest looking wild animals, the goat-antelope Sumatran Serow (Capricornis sumatraensis). It always fascinates me how the serow looks like an animal assembled from parts of other animals. All videos and photos in the clip are from camera traps situated in the forests of the Eastern Forest Complex. For the videos I use a Bushnell Trophy Camera Trap and for the photographs I make the camera trap myself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Mar 2013 22:25 #867 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Sumatran Serow (Capricornis sumatraensis)
Amazing looking animal and so wary of predators! Great how he walked right at the camera as if on display!

31 Mar 2013 14:49 #874 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Sumatran Serow (Capricornis sumatraensis)
Here are the stills:

Attachments:

31 Mar 2013 14:54 - 01 Apr 2013 10:43 #875 by Paul T
And here are some from a different location in Thailand. From the top of the limestone karst' of Uthai Thani. We had the place well scoped but the clamber up the karst with the gear and camera traps was pure hell.

Attachments:

13 May 2013 23:01 - 13 May 2013 23:07 #993 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Sumatran Serow (Capricornis sumatraensis)
I'm cheating, this is the female Serow that is seen every now and then on Khao Khieo in Khao Yai national park. She has a young at the moment, glad to see they are reproducing. I have pictures of the mother with her young, but am more happy with the particular picture showing the Serow in its natural habitat, crossing a small river bed.
I've shot that with my D700 and 50mm F1.8 at quite a close distance. She allows you to get really close, though every now and then she gets a bit grumpy, and makes a deep snorting sound.
The young one with her mother is shot with a 300mm f4.0.

I'm not sure how this one got so tame, I presume it's because the guys from the army are throwing their left-overs behind their little base. Or it got used to the visitors that visit Pa Dieo Die on a daily basis. Or it's a Khao Yai thing that all wildlife in the park is so tame, ;). But anyway, it offers a great opportunity to photograph an animal that is otherwise rarely seen.

Here follows the image.

And the mother with her young.

Attachments:

14 May 2013 05:53 - 14 May 2013 07:52 #994 by Paul T
Great shots! I agree with you, the one showing her in the habitat works very very well.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2019 wildlifethailand.com