Lord of the Jungle, the Tiger

31 Jan 2013 00:00 - 16 Jul 2013 14:04 #784 by Paul T
Lord of the Jungle, the Tiger was created by Paul T
Wild tiger photographed in Dong Phayayen - Khao Yai Forest Complex

thailand tiger

The Lord of Thailand's jungles, a wild male Indochinese tiger, Panthera tigris corbetti. Hunted to near extinction throughout the world over the last century,

he is one of perhaps 200 to 300 surviving tigers in Thailand.
He is one of a very small group still surviving in Thailand's Eastern Forest Complex. He hangs on to his existence deep in Thailand's forests against all hope and especially against the ravages of poaching and of habitat loss.

His survival is largely due to the hard work and dedication of the staff of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation. So the next time you are a National Park please remember the important work that the Department is doing, follow their rules and guidance, and treat their forest protectorate with the utmost of respect. Then, just maybe, one day, the possibility of sighting of one of these "Lords" may become a reality again.

Addendum:

Forum member Bagheera pointed out a new article on the BBC highlighting the issue of tiger poaching in Thailand, in particular the current use of poisons by poachers. It is a very interesting article and can be read here.... article link. Of particular note is the passage "In the country as a whole, the best estimate is that no more than 200 tigers remain in the wild - a massive decline in the space of a few decades". Whilst previous estimates varied dependent on the source data assimilator, the generally accepted figure over the last decade was 200-400. If the lower number of the previous estimate/s is now a maximum case scenario, then the situation requires our support. The DNP has clarified in its recent and excellent "Wildlife Conservation in Thailand" that it estimates 250 wild tigers survive realisticially, using empirical data as it's base rather than hearsay. To put this into context the DNP has also recorded that 1,417 tigers exist in captivity in Thailand. From that 1,417 tigers, 107 exist in Kanachanaburi's "Tiger Temple" alone. Think about those numbers.

I would implore readers to think about what they can do to be proactive about the survival of the tiger in Thailand's forest complex'. No matter how small that action may be. Be it to donate to the DNP, or NGOs working in Thailand, or International NGOs. Be it to arrange an awareness initiative at your community, workplace or school. Or be it to simply spread the word by openly discussing the tiger's plight with colleagues and friends. Sometimes little things make big things happen. {kunena_discuss:812}

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jos-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Mar 2013 18:01 #839 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Lord of the Jungle
Fantastic image! Hope to encounter one in the wild one day, but need to hurry before it's too late.

May I ask if you know of any place where to buy camera traps in Thailand? Would love to do a bit of my own research...

21 Mar 2013 08:23 - 09 Apr 2013 07:16 #840 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Lord of the Jungle
Not in Thailand BUT ebay is your best friend! You can also make them yourself - I would take a look at CameraTrap Asia and BruceKekule.com . Bruce shows how to build them on both sites and goes through the some of the complications you need to take into account. A good read.

If in an NP, of course you will need specific permission from the Park Chief or the DNP to deploy the cams.

25 Apr 2013 07:20 - 25 Apr 2013 07:21 #959 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Lord of the Jungle
I have read the posts of Bruce Kekule before, and even though I would love to make it myself, I'm afraid with my limited knowledge of electronics, it won't be a job for me. I did found a cam in my home country, however right now it's waiting at my families place for my next family visit (which could be next year) to pick it up and bring it to Thailand. Can't wait to place it in the jungle... In the meanwhile I did find a webpage of a guy named M. Hakimi in Bangkok dat seems to sell Bushnell trail cams. Maybe I'll try that in the future. But thanks for the tip of Ebay, though I'm a bit scared to sent any valuable things to Thailand. It happened too often that my mail from outbound did not arrive.

BTW What are the consequences if I don't have permission from the park authorities?
Is it easy to get permission? I prefer nobody knows about the location, as I do have some doubts about the integrity of some rangers. Or don't I have to tell the exact location of the cam?
Thanks for your help!

25 Apr 2013 08:13 - 09 Jul 2013 18:23 #960 by Paul T
We use the bushnells for video and to recce areas because they are small, easy to deploy and the trigger circuit is the best I have seen - it never misses an animal (which is NOT the case with the self made ones). Once we know that there are certain animals in an area we then bring in the bigger self made cameras, which is a set of 5 DSLRS we built about 1.5 years ago. You then wait it out, this shot took us 6 months! The self made DSLR cams can be very erratic and prone to failures of all kinds BUT you get a better technical image quality. You also get a bunch of grief from elephants, esp. musth bulls who do not like the flash when in their musth state. Everyone of our cams has been attacked by elephants at one point or another. Its our biggest issue. If the elephants can get to your cam you need protection for it.

I looked at the website you mentioned and it is the previous model he is offering - which is good because it has very good night time capabilities. The latest model has better day time images but the night time shots are terrible.

9000 baht is not bad considering. On ebay you would pay around 200 USD plus about 40 USD for postage (plus you risk 500 baht import duty). So 9000 baht is close enough if you have concerns over post delivery.

On permissions I am not really a good person to ask, at first I did not realize one needed them. We then had a meeting with a park chief and over a long period, and thanks to his insight and trust we finally came to an agreement that involved us taking pictures for the National Park. We do everything hand in hand with the DPYKY parks, complete transparency and disclosure. Indeed, we arrange each and every visit to the park/s directly with the park chief at least a week before we intend to arrive. Our thing is really about us helping/assisting them (the DNP) with their various awareness initiatives. One particular initiative that is close to my heart is education so I try to support the parks and NGOs like Freeland wherever I can. Because its the right thing to do.

09 May 2013 19:03 #980 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Lord of the Jungle
This is an exceptional photo and inspirational to all those who care about tigers,
I know its difficult to say, but are there any clues or inclinations as to whether the tiger population of the Eastern Forest Complex is a breeding population??

10 May 2013 08:31 - 21 Jul 2013 09:20 #983 by Paul T
There is currently a new species presence study going on by the DNP and some NGOs. In absolute honesty I am not really qualified to comment on the ethology issues.

We (the photos/media is actually made by two people, not just "me") do our bit by getting photos/media for the DNP and others. This photo involved a whole heap of support from the DNP and a whole heap of advice from the knowledgable staff of Freeland. Our "thing" is to attempt to help in anyway we can.

24 May 2013 02:23 #1038 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Lord of the Jungle

trekker wrote: I looked at the website you mentioned and it is the previous model he is offering - which is good because it has very good night time capabilities. The latest model has better day time images but the night time shots are terrible.

Trekker,

I am looking at purchasing a few camera traps whilst I am in the UK, what is the exact model name of this previous model that you mention?
I have no knowledge of camera traps whatsoever and thought I would ask the advice of someone with experience!

Cheers

24 May 2013 17:59 - 09 Jul 2013 18:24 #1041 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Lord of the Jungle, the Tiger
There's another update to the bushnell trophy cam hd that was released a couple of months ago. Check out www.trailcampro.com for the tests - it will really answer any questions you have.

Ps on holiday so only see forum on phone hence short replies this week

09 Jul 2013 18:10 - 21 Jul 2013 09:18 #1153 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Lord of the Jungle, the Tiger
We are currently wrapping up our current project to photograph some of Dong Phayayen - Khao Yai's Forest Complex' cryptic wildlife for the DNP. I am sat sorting out the files for the handover to the Department at the moment. Its been a great time and I am very hopeful that they will sanction another undertaking from us in the not too distant future. I am very keen to make the target species leopards as they have an inate beauty about them. They are very difficult to photograph so its just the type of challenge worth taking on, with what we have learnt. But means going west. Lets see if they will be kind enough to give us a go ahead again.

While I am sorting out all of the files for the handover I came across these two of a large male tiger in DPYKY. I had them labelled as "seconds" but with a bit of photoshop care they came out not too bad. Its the same tiger on the same night caught by two cameras close to each other - a massive stroke of luck. Just two weeks later an elephant decided to rip both of these cameras off the tree and play football with them.

......for those of you who have not discovered the beauty and fascination of insects yet ;+))

Wild tigers in Thailand : Thailand wild tiger : Thai tigers

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jos-

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com