Remember Me
Register
Facebook Login

Kaeng Krachan NP., Thailand - 26/27 January 2014

05 Feb 2014 09:19 - 05 Feb 2014 11:39 #1670 by Painted Jezebel
Kaeng Krachan NP., Thailand - 26/27 January 2014 was created by Painted Jezebel
A couple of days at this great NP, as a bit of R&R from the hustle of Koh Samui.

Insect n umbers were low, probably too early in the season, but a few interesting things were seen.

1) Odina decorata - Zig-Zag Flat. Best butterfly find of the trip, new to me, and at the extreme southernmost part of its range.

2) A moth of the Sesiidae family, unidentified. Tiny, with a wingspan of no more than 12mm.

3 & 4) Two species of what I believe are Ricaniidae (Hemiptera)

5) Out of place here, but this is a pug mark of some mammal (of which I know nothing.) It was approximately 2 inches in width. Can somepone provide me with an id? Found at the small dam at the base of the hill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Feb 2014 10:58 - 05 Feb 2014 11:01 #1671 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Kaeng Krachan NP., Thailand - 26/27 January 2014
Funny that not only I - with a particular interest in snakes - am hoping for these cool, dry months to pass quickly. Apparently it's the same for the insect enthusiasts.
It's not impossible to find stuff this season, but it is just more abundant/ active when it gets warmer and more humid.
I know of a couple of Vogel's Pit Vipers that have been hangin at the same spot for a month now.
And from my experience from previous years, I wouldn't be surprised if they're still there a month from now. But I can't wait till they all start crawling again...

Seems like you got some luck as well on your KK trip. That's certainly a pretty butterfly, and so is the tiny moth with it's hairy hind legs. Nice shots.

About the foot print... I'm afraid I can't tell you the answer either.
2 inches width is quite large. Maybe a porcupine...? Were there more tracks around, did some have longer feet?

05 Feb 2014 11:35 #1672 by Paul T
I agree, looks like a partial fore-print of a porcupine. I assume its close to Baan Krang? Our cam trapping in that area has revealed both Asiatic Porcupine and Brush Tailed Porcupine are quite common there. Asiatic especially.

The Sesiidae is spectacular!

15 Feb 2014 09:41 - 15 Feb 2014 09:53 #1697 by Paul T
Les,

Here is my little mystery I mentioned, I think some type of planthopper. About 15 mm long, found on the side of a tree at waist level, grouped with 8 others, when approached they showed their ability to hop! Displayed all the movement characteristic of a planthopper, including "poor" flight ability.

Quality is bad as its a screen grab from a poorly lit bit of video.

PS Looks as if the weather is starting to change up here now, its getting more humid everyday now, winter is over and we could have small showers soon. Butterflies should be big time at KK again if they have had a shower, but I am not going to get over there for a few weeks as I have family over.
Attachments:

16 Feb 2014 07:22 - 16 Feb 2014 14:17 #1699 by Painted Jezebel
Replied by Painted Jezebel on topic Kaeng Krachan NP., Thailand - 26/27 January 2014
Firstly, thanks Guys, for the Porcupine id. I had forgotten about them!

Yes, this insect is a bit of a mystery. However, I do not believe it is a hopper. The distinct head and the antennae are not usual for this group. My first thought was that the head looked more Hymenopteran, but I was not happy with that either.

Finally, I think I may have the answer, however the size is bit of a problem. It looks very much like a photo I have seen of a Psocoptera species (barklice or booklice) with the inflated thorax, and the wing shape is correct. As I said size is a problem as this Order is thought to be only between 1 & 10mm in body length. This may qualify if the wings extend past the body, which is highly probable. This is an Order which has hardly had any study undertaken.

This looks similar: pikul.lib.ku.ac.th/insect/001-006%20UPDA...socidae/Psocidae.jpg .

16 Feb 2014 08:46 - 16 Feb 2014 19:23 #1700 by Paul T
Wow, thanks a million Les!

Armed with that I just had an interesting search of them on the net. You nailed it. I read bark lice ......."The barklice (Psocoptera) are found harmlessly on trees, feeding on algae and lichen." ......which is interesting because I actually did video of the feeding behaviour on the tree. Its also given me the answer to another photo that has been sitting on my hard disk for a while from Khao Yai. Cheers!

I was not even aware of them as an Order.

Have had my ruler out, and its more than possible they were in fact closer to 10mm than 15mm from what I remember, sadly there's no reference to size in the video files. There is a reference in "Fauna of France" that some species are up to 2.5cm. But am afraid my memory is not the most reliable these days.

My video is not good (am still in basic video learning mode), but I will patch together the in-focus bits and post them here for info.

16 Feb 2014 19:20 - 16 Feb 2014 19:35 #1701 by Paul T
Here goes, sorry for the quality but an interesting insight into something I had no idea about.

The video shows one of my problems that I am having re smaller subjects and video DOF as well.

17 Feb 2014 07:58 #1705 by Painted Jezebel
Replied by Painted Jezebel on topic Kaeng Krachan NP., Thailand - 26/27 January 2014
Great video. It shows the cryptic colouring of the wings to perfection.

When you mentioned the french book giving a size of 2.5cm, you did not say what was being measured (body length, wing length or wingspan). I suspect they meant wingspan, which would be acceptable for species with body lengths of 10mm.

18 Feb 2014 09:55 #1709 by Paul T
Just spoke to KK and the butterfly puddling has begun.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph