The Beauty of Lantern Bugs

More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 3 years 6 months ago #2192 by WT admin
The Beauty of Lantern Bugs was created by WT admin
Had a nice bug trip to Kaeng Krachan at the weekend and spotted two lantern bugs

Pyrops lantern bug ThailandIf you were to ask two common groups of forest visitors, say a group of tourists and a group of insect enthusiasts, what was the most beautiful insect they had seen in Thailand? We are willing to bet that the majority would say a lantern bug. Whether you have seen a lantern bug in the wild of....... 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #2438 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic The Beauty of Lantern Bugs
Finally got a picture of Kalidasa nigromaculata, in Pang Sida National Park.

Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago #2443 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic The Beauty of Lantern Bugs
As always a great shot of a beautiful bug!

I agree that you do not have to be a 'bugger' to like the Lantern Bugs.
There is a pretty one in Khao Yai that is always present in the first months of the wet season along the 'crocodile'-trail.
If my online search is right this is the Pyrops ducalis. A beautiful species.
And sometimes there is a species at the start of the trail to Haew Narok waterfall, I haven't found an ID, but I am sure you will tell me what it is ;)

Pyrops ducalis

A bunch of Pyrops ducalis, sometimes there are 20 of these on this tree. And in previous years we did see another species on another tree but can not find an image... mostly green with tiny orange dots. But this year I either did not pay attention or they were just not there.

And this is the species I hope you can ID for me.
Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #2453 by Paul T
What a fantastic start to my morning - I have photos of neither of them - having "serious jealousy" cereal for breakfast!. I am enthused to go searching!! What great finds Flipflops. Are you moving to the "dark side"? I think you could do wonders with a macro lens with your photographers eye.

The last one is interesting - I think its Pyrops cf. oculata. I added the "cf." because when looking it up this morning I noticed that there were variations. Am not sure if this species is known as being highly variable such as some of the other lantern bugs but the pattern on your's seems irregular which is interesting. Maybe the camera angle but maybe not.

I have also put a link to the "official" list of recognized species for Thailand in the"Library" section of the forum for regulars, but here is the list for everyone else as well .........

Subfamily Aphaeninae Tribe: Aphaenini
Aphaena aurantia var. apicata
Aphaena submaculata burmanica
Aphaena najas
Kalidasa nigromaculata
Polydictya uniformis
Polydictya tricolor
Penthicodes bimaculata
Penthicodes variegate
Penthicodes atomaria
Penthicodes pulchella
Penthicodes caja

Subfamily Fulgorinae Tribe: Laternarini
Pyrops spinolae
Fulgora nigrirostris
Pyrops viridirostris
Pyrops candelaria
Pyrops ducalis
Pyrops astarte
Pyrops clavata mizunumai
Pyrops peguensis
Pyrops lathburii
Pyrops oculata
Pyrops shiinaorum
Saiva gemmata
Saiva cardinalis
Saiva bullata

Subfamily Fulgorinae Tribe: Zannini
Zanna terminalis
Zanna dohrni
Zanna nobilis
Zanna chinensis

Additional Species photographed by Forum members in Thailand

Scamandra rosea varicolor
Pyrops karenia
Pyrops connectens
Aphaena dissimilis
Polydictya sp (see below)

Subfamily Fulgorinae Tribe: Polydicta

Polydictya vietnamica
Polydictya Chantrainei
Polydictya sp. new species found in Kaeng Krachan NP by Paul T

After studying Les' "red/brown" lantern bug in the gallery (see first post) some more, I originally thought it was a variation on Aphaena cf. submaculata burmanica and I labelled it as such ( it is known to be be highly variable). But I have decided to mark it as "unknown" as it is very different from all the other pictures I can find. Interesting as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: onflipflops

More
3 years 10 months ago #2454 by Painted Jezebel
Replied by Painted Jezebel on topic The Beauty of Lantern Bugs
There appears to be a couple of species missing from the list, both shown in the main article.

Scamandra rosea varicolor - photographed in Krung Ching, Nakhon Si Thammarat (seen only once)
Pyrops karenia - photographed in Khao Phanom Bencha, Krabi Province. (Common there)

Beautiful photo of Kalidasa nigromaculata!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T, onflipflops

More
3 years 10 months ago #2458 by Paul T
Good spot Les! I have adjusted the list to incorporate the finds at the bottom.

More
3 years 10 months ago #2460 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic The Beauty of Lantern Bugs
Thanks Trekker!
I think I'm still stuck on 'the other dark side', haha. But I like anything colourful or anything perfectly camouflaged, or anything that has an interesting story about behaviour, characteristics etc. So that includes certain (many?) bugs ;). But still I get a bit more excited to see certain mammals or snakes.

My macro lens, the fixed nikkor micro 200mm f4 did not survive the humid conditions here. Got a whole ecosystem of fungi inside the lens :(
I'm a slow hiker, but if I would carry a macro lens which could change every inch in the forest into beautiful images I would probably never reach the end of the trails...
These shots are just with my 300mm f4. I'm sorry that I did not do better on the Pyrops cf. oculata. Perhaps I was with people that were less excited to see anything non-furry... I don't remember. I should have more images, but my collection is still a mess. No time to sort everything out.

I can give you descriptions of the exact location of these bugs, however, I'm afraid you will have to wait till next year for them to return.
Not sure if I should share the exact location on the forum, I don't know if there is a risk of bug collectors to go after them, haha. I can email those who would like to know.
The P. ducalis is there every year, don't know exactly which month they come have to look back into the exifs of my images, but the last few times I walked by this month they were gone. So I guess the season is over. I think it is mostly just after the hot dry season till about September.
For sure they will be back next year.
The other species, Pyrops cf. oculata, is a little bit more hit and miss, but anyway seem to return every year.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #2461 by Paul T
Just realized I have another couple in my files waiting to be sorted, firstly Penthicodes pulchella: first pic is in Nam Nao, second in Huai Kha Khaeng

Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph