Bug ID please.

1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #3776 by rushenb
Bug ID please. was created by rushenb
Hi all,

I would appreciate an ID for this bug, taken in Kaeng Krachan near km 9.

Cheers,

Rushen

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #3778 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Bug ID please.
Its a weevil of some kind, Rushen. A weevil is a type of beetle from the Curculionoidea superfamily.

More
1 year 11 months ago #3780 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic Bug ID please.
Great shot Rushen, what gear are you using for this kind of macro photography? I have been thinking of getting into it but don't know where to start. Any ideas appreciated.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #3781 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Bug ID please.
Many thanks Paul! :)

Geoff; I am using a Tamron 90mm F2.8, Macro 1:1. It is a true legendary as reviewed in this page;

www.tamron.eu/lenses/sp-af-90mm-f28-di-macro-11/

.. if you decide to buy one, please remember that there are two different sorts, another one with a certain "VC" model where the front lens is at the very front. In my one, the front-lens is perhaps 4-5 cm deep inside, I never worry about it will get scratched, although I use it often, I don't even have to use the lens cap to protect it.

I have seen many reptile/macro photographers using this lens, all happy with it. It is also relatively cheap, I bough it for around 15-17,000 Baht or something.

I have now started to experiment reptile shots with a wide angle 24mm but I still shoot most of my reptile shots with 90mm. Great results. The DOF is perhaps not the best on this particular shot, but the below shot is from yesterday..

When you get there, I will gladly show up at Ban Krang some day so you can borrow and test the 90mm I have. I live around the corner after all (if you are using Nikon). :)

Cheers,

Rushen

Attachments:

More
1 year 11 months ago #3782 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic Bug ID please.
Thanks for the help, but will it fit my Canon? The price seems good, a similar Canon lens would be double that. I am off to Sri Phanga tomorrow but will be in KKC towards the end of the week, if your there lets meet up.

More
1 year 11 months ago #3784 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Bug ID please.
Nah, mine won't fit your Canon.

I am around for next 2 weeks, no plans. Will be in Ban Krang this Monday for couple of days, will gladly show up there towards the week-end again. Please drop me an email and let me know when you are absolutely sure you will get there. :)

Cheers,

Rushen

More
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds