When rain stops play

• Paul T
  • Paul T's Avatar Topic Author
  • Tree Hugger
More
3 months 5 days ago - 3 months 5 days ago #4960 by Paul T
When rain stops play was created by Paul T
I just had a very nice trip to Kaeng Krachan National Park essentially "rained off". I was there for 6 days - for 5 days of that I never really went out the confines of Baan Krang camp because it rained the whole time. Each time it did decide to stop raining the remit lasted about 15 minutes before the heavens opened again. The weather was atrocious for 6 days straight - theres so much water about.

It was good for me though in a way because it made me get off my butt and finally re-jig my Nikon macro system. Some of you know I am selling a lot of canon macro gear - this is because a) I have retired and now survive on a modest pension so I am liquidating the stuff I don't use so often AND b) I have been trying to put together a little kit that can go with me everywhere in the forest that can shoot (to the quality I want) long lens subjects, wide angle and macro using just one body to keep down the weight to an absolute minimum. The kit has to be Nikon because thats what the majority of my existing gear is. I had this kit fairly well sorted out I just needed to put together the macro component. As I was stuck in the campsite most of the week I finally got to do this.

It was my first real return to macro arthropod photography for nearly a year and a half and I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed myself again and now plan to put macro firmly back at the top of my lists of subjects. With all the rain there was no shortage of macro subjects to photograph. I am now going through my files trying to figure IDs - which is s till as hard as it used to be so I may need a bit of guidance from you all.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul T
  • Tree Hugger
More
3 months 5 days ago - 3 months 5 days ago #4961 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic When rain stops play
First off here's two I have no idea what they are

This one - body length is about 3mm not incl wing - there were about 5 of them together on a leaf of a shrub plant:

This one was on the bark of a tree in the camp site - length about 10 mm incl wing
Attachments:

• Paul T
  • Tree Hugger
More
3 months 5 days ago - 3 months 5 days ago #4962 by Paul T
The next two fascinating creatures I know what they are, they are Crown Wasps (Stephanidae) - very small little things which you really have to concentrate to see them. They react to the flash so were quite difficult to photograph as they could jump out of frame on the pre-flash cycle.

Attachments:

• Paul T
  • Tree Hugger
More
3 months 4 days ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #4963 by Paul T
This one is one of the Cicadellidae.

And this I have no idea other than "scorpion" - only about 20 mm long.
Attachments:

More
3 months 4 days ago #4964 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic When rain stops play
Nice shots as always! Good to see your macro work again.

According to my friend the scorpion seems to be from the Chaerilus genus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

• Paul T
  • Tree Hugger
More
3 months 3 days ago #4967 by Paul T
Thanks Ton! Heres a couple more.

Without a doubt the biggest earwig that I have ever seen - absolutely no idea on ID.....

And something that we all see all the time - The Long Horned Orb-Weaver, Macracantha-arcuata....
Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph