Insect "season" will soon be here for Central Thailand

06 Mar 2012 10:47 - 17 May 2013 09:57 #383 by
We are now coming to end of the dry season and I am getting a very itchy camera trigger finger to get back to my true passion of insect photography. I started in my photography hobby as an underwater macro photographer and transferred to above water photography after an illness in the family - I think that is why I like insect photography as it mirrors what I enjoyed about underwater macro photography. Its you, on your own hunting through the "undergrowth" for that one thing that is very good at hiding from you, that thing that is very good at keeping itself cryptic. Its like a hunt, pitting your wits against your environment and your "prey" - but everyone involved survives without hurt.

We are now just a couple of weeks from the mango rains and the changes that brings. Even now there are more butterflies about already and last weekend there was a definite increase in my insect sightings whilst trekking in Khao Yai. The dry season is great for walking and good for mammals but the forest is just far more vibrant of life "filled" when its damp or wet. It been a long dry season for me and I am itching to get going again. I even bought a new rain poncho in anticipation this weekend!

To get myself more in the mood I am going to post a few of my mantid (my favorite insect I think) photos:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Mar 2013 10:57 - 25 Mar 2013 08:14 #847 by Paul T
Time to start preparing for the forthcoming "bug season" in central Thailand again. Its dry dry dry at the moment and many of the bugs are not yet present but we have started to see a little rain which is getting the cycles started and the likes of flying termites & butterflies are the first signs of things getting buggy again.

This year the advent of much higher MPx DX sensors should be a huge boon for insect photography and I myself have just bought one of Nikon's new 24 MP DX offerings in anticipation of the upcoming macro opportunities.

I was on the look out for insects a couple of weeks ago in KK but there was nought about, save spiders. Saying that, I have noticed that some photographers like Antonio Giudici are now recording more species butterflies in central Thailand than we have seen for a few months, so the "season" is starting. I do like insect photography. Arthropods are much maligned but are a major component of the forest's life and cycles and its fascinating to head off into the forest searching for them, never knowing what interesting species you will happen upon. Photographing the big mammals is great BUT extremely difficult and time consuming. I find an interest in insects enables me get my "nature" fix virtually every weekend, with a shot or two to show for my endeavors, which is nice. Making me a sane de-stressed person again come the realities of working for a living on Monday morning............... ready to become a stressed out wreck by Friday again ;+)

24 Mar 2013 11:13 - 24 Mar 2013 11:26 #848 by Paul T
Hmmm, those pics are linked from another site and dont really show the quality thats in the orig' macro images, this one is uploaded directly to give a better idea of the technical image quality thats achievable. Its on a Nikon d800 with a 200 mm macro lens and a 2x extender. Minimal cropping and the final image file is still 24 Megapixels.

Attachments:

24 Mar 2013 14:29 - 24 Mar 2013 17:24 #849 by Paul T
D800 plus Nikon 200 mm plus 2x extender.......

Attachments:

24 Mar 2013 14:47 #850 by Paul T
D7000 + nikon 200 mm

Attachments:

24 Mar 2013 22:58 #851 by jonathanbkk
tough act to follow but here are a few more

Attachments:

25 Mar 2013 07:04 - 26 Nov 2013 06:18 #852 by Paul T
Great Jonathan! I was remarking to Ed yesterday about his shot of the first one (Ed's Spider Gallery) as well. Its an incredible looking spider, great find.

14 Apr 2013 06:37 #909 by Paul T

tough act to follow but here are a few more

I stumbled across the ID of this one by accident - it is "Portia labiata" a jumping spider.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2022 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.