The Unicorn Hoverfly

24 Oct 2012 23:18 - 17 May 2013 12:16 #590 by
The Unicorn Hoverfly was created by
One thing about macro photography is that because the subjects are so small you don't really see "things" until you get the file onto a computer screen. I had a shock when I put this file up to view..........

Look at the antennae. Just one for each hoverfly. Had I stumbled upon a new species? even a genus? maybe a family? The Unicorn Hoverfly! Was the Syrphidae family able to contain my amazing find?

Sadly the shot is one of those wierd one in a million flukes and the two antennae on BOTH flies are perfectly aligned in the cameras view making it look like just one antennae per fly. I though my moment of fame had come. Alas no.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2022 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.