[SOLVED] Spiders ID, please help

13 Apr 2013 07:36 - 02 May 2013 11:21 #896 by malamala
Spiders ID, please help was created by malamala
Can you, please, help me to identify the following spiders, photos taken during caving.

thank you

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Apr 2013 08:05 #899 by Painted Jezebel
Replied by Painted Jezebel on topic Spiders ID, please help
Spiders are not realy my speciality but I can help on Nos. 2 & 3.

The second photo is actually a whip-scorpion (fearsome looking, but harmless). I am not sure on the species.
No. 3 is a Nephila species (Orb-weaver spiders). It is difficult to say which one, as you have taken a photo of the underside. However, I think it should be Nephila pilipes.

Cheers
Les

13 Apr 2013 23:44 #907 by malamala
Replied by malamala on topic Spiders ID, please help
Les, thank you

14 Apr 2013 11:04 #911 by ed
Replied by ed on topic Spiders ID, please help
Hi Malamala,

Positively identifying spiders is notoriously difficult but here goes:

The first one might be a Wall Crab Spider (Selenops radiatus), found in tropical and sub-tropical regions. Sometimes called "Flatties" because of the extreme flatness of their abdomen which swells when feeding. They are fast moving hunting spiders well adapted to life in caves. They tend to sit still but when they have had enough they dart sideways for cover.

The second one is not a spider but a relation. It is an Amplypygi or more commonly known as a Whip Spider. A Whip Scorpion (Uropygi) are slightly different with tails. Your one is probably of the genus Phrynichus which has 14 species and found throughout the Far East, India, Sri Lanka, the Seychelles and Africa. It is harmless. You can tell the approximate age of the animal by the spines on the raptorial palps. These spines are used for ensnaring prey so when young there are more spines. When older and mature, fighting rivals and mating is more important so they have less spines.

I agree the third is a female Nephila pilipes, the males are much smaller and brown. Harmless to humans though can give a nip.

Hope this helps - Ed

14 Apr 2013 22:47 #912 by malamala
Replied by malamala on topic Spiders ID, please help
Ed,

thanks a lot, it did help.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2022 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.