[SOLVED] Butterflies & Moths need ID help

22 Apr 2013 17:49 - 02 May 2013 11:19 #949 by Paul T
Butterflies & Moths need ID help was created by Paul T
Here is my collection of butterflies and moths I have not been able to ID. Any help is much appreciated.

A blue from Kaeng Krachan - I find some blues difficult for me to pick out IDs

A moth from Pang Sida

A moth from Khao Kieo/Khao Chompoo (Chonburi)

A grass yellow from Pang Sida - I cannot see the difference between any of the grass yellows :unsure:

A moth from Khao Yai.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Apr 2013 06:43 - 23 Apr 2013 06:49 #950 by Painted Jezebel
Replied by Painted Jezebel on topic Butterflies & Moths need ID help
The Blue is Prosotas dubiosa lumpura (Tailless Line-Blue).

Moth 1 (from Pang Sida). There are several similar species, please bear with me, I need to research further.

Moth from Chonburi. This is either Aloa lactinea or Aloa flavimargo (Arctiinae). The latter is currently only known from Mae Hong Son, but the differences between the two are only noticeable on the hindwing, so it may have been misidentified as the former in the past. A. lactinea is the more common so I would expect it to be that.

Eurema species. Apart from for 2 very distictive species, the main diagnostic points are: a) is there a spot at the base of space 7 of the hindwing? - in this case, No (the basal spot is not in 7, but at the wing joint, and can be found in all Eurema), and b) how many cell spots are there on the forewing?, this case, as far as I can see, 2, the second being extremely faint. In this case it would be E. hecabe hecabe (Common Grass Yellow).

Last moth - again bear with me, more research required.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

23 Apr 2013 07:41 - 23 Apr 2013 07:43 #951 by Painted Jezebel
The two moths were easier to find than I thought they would be (in fact I was not very hopeful of finding either!), bearing in mind that there is no literature on either Lymantriinae or Geometridae from Thailand.

Moth 1 from Pang Sida - Hypomecis cineracea (Geometridae)
Last moth from Khao Yai - Psilochira sp. Close to P. lineata (Lymantriinae), but the forewing basal black stripe is slightly different in shape. I am not sure how variable it can be, but I would think it is probably that species. Everything else fits perfectly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

23 Apr 2013 08:55 #952 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Butterflies & Moths need ID help
Thanks a million Les!!

23 Apr 2013 09:32 #953 by Painted Jezebel
No problem. Always happy to try and help with Lepidoptera. The more I research, the more I learn! :)

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2022 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.