Help with Lepidoptera IDs ?

17 May 2013 07:08 - 14 Jul 2014 13:21 #999 by WT admin
Help with Lepidoptera IDs ? was created by WT admin
I am in serious need of help with IDing the following moths, if anyone can help?

Both are from the Kaeng Krachan Forest Complex (Chaloem Phrakiat Thai Prachan), both low altitudes, in the last few months. Am finally getting round to trying to catch up with my backlog of files from my weekend jaunts, although still no RAW convertor from Apple for the Nikon D7100 which is a pain because I have a lot of D7100 macro shot files to get through.

Moth 1 approx 20 mm wing tip - wing tip

There must be an association between this moth and flowering tree it is on because there were about 10 of the species on the flowers of a vine on a willow like tree.

Moth 2 approx 12 mm wing tip - wing tip
Possibly: Chamaita hirta and outside of recorded range

Tribe Lithosiini : Subfamily Arctiinae : Family Erebidae

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 May 2013 12:14 - 31 May 2013 12:17 #1061 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Help with Lepidoptera IDs ?
Apple finally released a RAW convertor for the D7100 so am going through my shots of the last few months.

Strangest Clearwing Moth (Sesiidae?) I have seen. Very small, body length about 8-10 mm, total length say 18 mm. I thought it was a bee from its movements until I looked closer on the camera. Unfortunately not a very good shot, just a "record" shot. Huai Kha Khaeng (Sai Bo)

Attachments:

03 Jun 2013 18:13 #1071 by WT admin
Another one that has me stumped........... after a lot of searching I figure a Geometridae moth, but thats as far as I got.

Attachments:

04 Jun 2013 09:37 #1076 by Painted Jezebel
Replied by Painted Jezebel on topic Help with Lepidoptera IDs ?
This, last one, is a Godonela species (Geometridae - Ennominae - Tribe, Macariini). It looks closest to G. fluidata, but that is a Bornean endemic, so probably not that. There are no references to Thai Geometridae to check.

Regarding your earlier photos, sorry, absolutely no idea. Sesiidae are very poorly researched, every single one of my photos of this family remain unidentified!

09 Jun 2013 15:33 #1094 by WT admin
Thanks Les! Its much appreciated.

12 Aug 2013 13:59 - 12 Aug 2013 13:59 #1233 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Help with Lepidoptera IDs ?
Thought I had found something special with this one but seeing it on the computer (maybe I need new glasses) it looks to be an Arctiidae with its front legs stretched out.

Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2022 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.