Delias singhapura singhapura

06 Jun 2013 08:55 - 06 Jun 2013 14:14 #1087 by Painted Jezebel
Delias singhapura singhapura was created by Painted Jezebel
During a recent trip round Nakhon Si Thammarat Province, myself and a colleague came across a small colony of Delias singhapura singhapura (Lion Jezebel).

The butterfly is decribed by Corbet and Pendlebury in Butterflies of Malaysia, 1993, as one of the rarest in Malaysia. In Thailand it is even rarer. I am only aware of two specimens, one prior to 1932, the other in 2004, both from Ranong Province.

This appears to be a young colony, as I have previously visited the location several times, and never seen it. Owing to its rarity, and for the safety of the colony, we agreed that we would not give the precise location.

We saw 7-8 specimens, of both sexes, so we are hopeful that the colony may succeed. We will be monitoring it as well as we can for the next few years, and also hope to come across other colonies elswehere in the area.

1) Male undersided

2) Female upperside

3) Female underside

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jun 2013 10:15 #1088 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Delias singhapura singhapura
What an amazing find and fantastic pictures!

Let us know how it goes and if you find more

06 Jun 2013 14:13 #1089 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Delias singhapura singhapura
Absolutely fantastic Les! Its things like this that really excite me.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2022 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.