Interesting arthropods

15 Sep 2013 11:06 - 10 Nov 2013 14:19 #1383 by Paul T
Interesting arthropods was created by Paul T
I was in two minds whether to go out on Saturday as the weather in Bangkok has been miserable this week but decided to have a quick dash to the Kaeng Krachan Forest Complex. On of my favourite insect quick dash locations is Chaloem Phrakiat Thai Prachan National Park in Ratchaburi. Its part of the Kaeng Krachan Forest Complex but its a formerly, largely, denuded area (de-forested) thats not known as a large mammal location but is fine for macro life. Unfortunately, when we got there the entrance road was blocked as the reservoir is now full and it has back flooded the entrance road. This also happened last year, and access will now be a problem until the water levels recede after the rainy season. So it was a short day but it did put up some interesting insects:

The first thing found was a very interesting assassin bug. I have no idea what species at all, as you can see its has some remarkable characteristics, notably a) the protective spines on the head, thorax and abdomen and b) the folded mantis like front legs:

Then it was an unknown planthopper:

and later in the day a very cute Ambivia undata nymph. This mantis nymph mimics a dead twig as a defence mechanism. I have seen these before but this was the first time I had gotten usable shots of one:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Sep 2013 14:21 #1385 by Painted Jezebel
Replied by Painted Jezebel on topic Interesting arthropods
Lovely photos. Can not help with the ids, I'm afraid. I have the Hopper myself in my huge 'unidentified' file.

Nice to see the nymph of the Ambivia undata. I have only seen the adult (below), which land on my home balcony on Samui.
Attachments:

16 Sep 2013 15:43 #1389 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Interesting arthropods
Cheers Les, great to see a pic of the adult as well!

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2022 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.