ID Request - Fungi

05 Aug 2010 15:38 - 17 May 2013 13:02 #193 by
ID Request - Fungi was created by
The last couple of weekends I have been mushroom hunting in Uthai Thani. I came across this mushroom that I cannot ID. I really have no idea, as to family never mind species. When I approached it I thought it was a cup mushroom and was quite happy because it would have been my 3rd species of cup mushroom that morning, but when I got close I realized it was not, it did have the same concave shape but it was made entirely of fibres or whiskers. It was growing out of leaf litter on the forest floor.

I have to admit I am at a complete loss as to what it may be, even after pouring over the internet. If any budding mycologist can help I would be very pleased.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Sep 2011 17:15 - 05 Jun 2015 17:02 #333 by
Replied by on topic ID Request - Fungi
Yes, indeed it looks strange. I GUESS this is a normal gilled mushroom attacked by a Zygomycete.

Cheers, Eric, Dokmai Garden

16 Oct 2012 14:08 #588 by trekker
Replied by trekker on topic ID Request - Fungi
Thanks Eric, I also had the same ID from one of the mycotopia forums. A fungus eating fungus, makes the mind boggle.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com